Help Sowing Seed Unsuccessful

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I planted grass seed in this patch, in the pic, it was a patch that was dug up, the soil sifted into a fine loam, pretty much perfect to sow grass, or so I thought, as you can see didn't go too well, I'm in Scotland I planted late October last year, weather was fine, but then we got a cold snap, by early December the grass was there, but as you see it was patchy very.

So come Feb 2022, we got quite a good spell of weather, I hesitated on seeding again, but then decided I would two days later it bloody snowed, lucky white heather or what, checked the result a few weeks later and same result, the patches never took, before I seeded, or over seeded, the second time round, obviously the soil was firmer, I did give it a good rake, just on the surface though, maybe a few (cm), then I sprinkled fresh soil on top, but as you see the result was dismal.

I believe my preparation for the first time I seeded was good, as I said soil was riddled, I put down fertiliser, I used sunlight and shade, seeds, I got them from Boston seeds, who seem to have a good reputation, has my timing just been off? on both occasions, with the weather taking a turn for the worst?

Today I decided to try another attempt the big bald patch, that you see in the pic, wasn't as bare, but I dug it up today, to loosen and soften the soil, and some of the grass there did suffer, but it was patchy, not good, and it's now over seeded again as another attempt, I'm hoping it will take this time, however I'd rather not do this for all the patches, and that's why I've came here for advice, as it may fail again, if there is a better, dare I say an easier way? to salvage the bald patches, or is digging the soil to soften it again really the only option, I'd really appreciate some help and advice going forward, Thanks.
20220507_190351.jpg

Sponsored Links
What was there before you seeded the area, was it a dead patch or was something growing ? wondering if you have something in the soil.

Me I would reseed, just rake over the area and seed raking in. looks like you have seeds on top of the ground now .
I'm sure you will have other suggestions that may be better than mine.

I never put that much effort in, cheap grass seed, mix with a bit of sand, spread it on bare soil, tie a few bits of plastic on sticks nearby to discourage birds. Water if possible.

It will get there in the end.

Covering with fleece works really well.

keeps birds off and help germination

Sponsored Links
Grass will only grow when the temperature reaches about 10°c constantly. You need to keep it well watered and protected from birds until it starts to grow.

What was there before you seeded the area, was it a dead patch or was something growing ? wondering if you have something in the soil.

Me I would reseed, just rake over the area and seed raking in. looks like you have seeds on top of the ground now .
I'm sure you will have other suggestions that may be better than mine.

Hi the patch just up until the smaller fence starts, had a tonne of bricks underneath I discovered this last year when I attempted to weed the patch, so I removed all the bricks dug down six inches sifted all the soil put it back down, seeded and got this result for my hard work, but gutted to be honest, only grass lol, but I put in the work.

I just remembered though I can remember that last year was the final straw, that made me want to do something about that patch, my neighbour downstairs was getting a new boiler, and the idiots fitting it dumped all the radiators, boiler on that patch of grass, they totally killed the grass, I remember now cuase I went mental, but they thought it was my neibours area still no excuse.

Could this be the reason could they have ruined the soil (eg made it more acidic) cause even though I removed the soil and sifted it I put the same soil back in, there is all sorts of crap in those boilers and radiators, or do you think I'm jumping to conclusions and what ever was there would have washed away buy now, Thanks.

Last edited:
Dont forget to water using a very fine rose or light sprinkling. You don't want to wash the seeds out but they will need water to germinate. When the grass starts to grow firm it down by rolling or walking on it using flat feet. This will firm the soil around the roots. Then water regularly until established and try to keep off it as much as possible for the first few weeks following getting established.

Covering with fleece works really well.

keeps birds off and help germination
Hi where would you get the fleece, would it be expensive for that size, I did put down net, but fleece sounds ok, although would that not block the sunlight.

I pre-soak the grass seed to initiate germination. Works well for me.
No idea if the 'correct' thing to do, but many seem to do it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=presoak+grass+seed&oq=presoak+gras&
I raked the soil first to break it up.
Put on the dead.
And then cover lightly with some top soil.
Then water water and water.

Note that I Once over soaked it (too long) and that killed the seeds.
Sfk

Last edited:
When I reseed ,lawns or fields the ground is cultivated, rolled , seed spread and then lightly raked or chain harrowed in then rolled again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back