Prep for new lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been out with a fork and turned over (to a depth of the full fork)the large muddy area at the back of our house.

In some areas it turned over and broke up easily into fine light soil, but in other areas it wasn't beaking up very easily as it had a good amount of clay in it. In these ares I now have lots of hard clumps the size of about half a brick - it looks like a farmers field after he has just ploughed.

1/. Is the light soil good enough to lay turf on (once I have raked a fine tilth to the surface)?

2/. What should I do with the large clay lumps, should I just keep at them with the fork to break them down? or remove the more stubborn ones completely.

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You could hire a rotovator for probably 30 quid maybe more if you need it delivered and it will break the soil up very well. Otherwise you will need to just keep at it with the fork and a stiff rake that you can go back and forth with over and over until it is fine enough to screed.

If you soil is clayish then adding sharp sand at this stage would be a good idea. it will also make it easier when screeding it flat.

Where you have clay soil - only use very sharp sand if you wish to go down the route - add soft building sand and you'll create the opposite effect.

If you have the time, add organic material and compost, then rotovate - this will improve soil condition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back