New lawn: Have I done enough?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've stripped my new garden to nothing. Previously it had some well established rose bushes, trees and plants of unknown (to me) designation and massive concrete flags.

I've dug it over to maybe 12-18", adding multi-purpose compost. I've removed as many of the roots as I can (without spending the next 6 months on the job).

It's been several days and there are no sign of weeds re-growing.

I've removed as many stones & large lumps of clay as I can and broken up the larger clumps of soil.

I've raked it several times, bringing roots and debris to the surface and removing them.

Last night, I applied pre-lawn fertiliser (?Verve? stuff from B&Q) and raked over. This'll be doing it's magic over the next 4 days, ready for my turf which is being delivered on Tuesday.

I was going to buy a bulk bag of top-soil at the same time, but funds are low and I'm hoping I've already done enough to support the new lawn.

Sponsored Links
Sounds good! Get the turf down, let it get established and enjoy!

I don't see where you've firmed (either by rolling or treading)?

I haven't 'heeled' it yet. I was leaving it well alone for now as I've just put the fertiliser down. I'll be firming, raking & double checking levels, just before I lay the turf.

Sponsored Links
All done now.

View media item 63063 View media item 63069
Only one problem - the garden is on a slope, towards the house & also towards the drive (which is out of shot, bottom right). There's a small concrete wall (3") and it's getting very boggy in that area.

That area was full of clay, of which I removed a great deal and added topsoil.

In a vain attempt to release some water, I drilled a couple of holes in the little wall, but it's not helped. :oops:

View media item 63066

I've stripped my new garden to nothing. Previously it had some well established rose bushes, trees and plants of unknown (to me) designation and massive concrete flags.

I've dug it over to maybe 12-18", adding multi-purpose compost. I've removed as many of the roots as I can (without spending the next 6 months on the job).

It's been several days and there are no sign of weeds re-growing.

I've removed as many stones & large lumps of clay as I can and broken up the larger clumps of soil.

I've raked it several times, bringing roots and debris to the surface and removing them.

Last night, I applied pre-lawn fertiliser (?Verve? stuff from B&Q) and raked over. This'll be doing it's magic over the next 4 days, ready for my turf which is being delivered on Tuesday.

I was going to buy a bulk bag of top-soil at the same time, but funds are low and I'm hoping I've already done enough to support the new lawn.

hi i hope you dont mind me asking couple of things

1- how did you remove the concrete blocks?
2- did you remove existing soil or used pitch fork?
3 - If you removed it, how did you do it (shovels?and what did you do with the removed soil?

The flags were removed by sticking a spade, fork, whatever was in hand, underneath and levering them up far enough to get a hand in and lift them. Back breaking work: They're old-style, fecking heavy, flags and had to be walked out of the way as they were too heavy to lift. Some have been reused by my dad. But I still have to figure out what to do with the dozen or so I have left leaning against the side of my house. They're so heavy, I don't relish the thought of taking them to the tip.

I used a garden fork to turn over the soil. Picking out stones, weeds, roots, glass, WW2 action figures, as I went. Much of it went into my green wheelie bin for council collection. I worried that they would reject the bin as it was so heavy (due to soil), but after having a chat with the binmen they said if they can move it, they'll take it. Some of it went in gorrilla tubs to the tip.

I've been regularly watering the lawn and keeping off it as much as I can. I cut it for the second time yesterday and it's really looking good. It's still a little long, but I may keep it so due to having kids. :LOL:

But I still have to figure out what to do with the dozen or so I have left leaning against the side of my house. They're so heavy, I don't relish the thought of taking them to the tip.

List them on your local Freecycle / Freegle group. They're massively popular - people grab them for allotments and so on.

The flags were removed by sticking a spade, fork, whatever was in hand, underneath and levering them up far enough to get a hand in and lift them. Back breaking work: They're old-style, f*****g heavy, flags and had to be walked out of the way as they were too heavy to lift. Some have been reused by my dad. But I still have to figure out what to do with the dozen or so I have left leaning against the side of my house. They're so heavy, I don't relish the thought of taking them to the tip.

I used a garden fork to turn over the soil. Picking out stones, weeds, roots, glass, WW2 action figures, as I went. Much of it went into my green wheelie bin for council collection. I worried that they would reject the bin as it was so heavy (due to soil), but after having a chat with the binmen they said if they can move it, they'll take it. Some of it went in gorrilla tubs to the tip.

I've been regularly watering the lawn and keeping off it as much as I can. I cut it for the second time yesterday and it's really looking good. It's still a little long, but I may keep it so due to having kids. :LOL:

thanks for your reply,.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back