Lawn prep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've moved into a new build house and have a small area of back garden that was just all weeds, the boys have been playing football out there and the weeds have now all gone (well, the heads have).

I have dug it over and removed as many of the weed roots as I can, I would now like to lay turf.

My question; I will have definately left some weed roots behind, won't these roots re-establish and grow through my lovely new lawn?

Should I do anything before I lay the turf to prevent this from happening?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you are concerned that you have left the weed roots behind fork it over again and remove as many as you can.You are leaving it a bit late to put turf down,but having said that if it remains mild you maybe ok.

ideally you want to wait a few weeks for the weeds to re grow and then spray them but they are really slowing down and some have stopped until spring so i would go ahead and lay your turf and deal with them in spring when lawn is a bit more established

Sponsored Links
crack on. lay the turf. Its not too late.

Only difference is it will take longer to root in if the weather turns cooler - but you still get root growth as long as the temperature is above 5 deg.c

don't over water it as this will increase the chance of disease.

treat the weeds with a selective in the spring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back