Making hole for bath tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post so I hope I'm in the right place.
We are doing work in our ensuite and bathroom and will be replacing our bath. The Adamsez bath we have chosen comes with the waste and overflow holes already cut but we, sorry my husband, has to cut the hole for the bath mixer himself. Any tips on how to do it correctly and accurately without destroying the bath?

Sponsored Links
Use a decent hole cutter in your drill, make sure you turn off the hammer action on it before you start cutting, use masking tape to cover the parts you want to drill & finally measure 3 times & cut once.

Sponsored Links
agree with measure 3 times cut once, but also drill pilot hole 1st

And spend whole time wondering why you didnt charge cost of bath to do the job because one slip and you're buying new one for customer.

Any job that involves cutting holes in expensive parts I tell the customer to cut it themselves before I fit it, if they don't like it they can get someone else to fit it.

I'm a woman and I haven't a clue what the bath is made of ( it doesn't say anything in their brochure about what it is made of either). I picked it cos it looks nice, that's my contribution to the project:)
My hubby, although not a plumber, is fairly handy at DIY and so far in 21 yrs of marriage there have been no disasters (touch wood). However he has never had to drill a tap hole so was a looking tips on how to make sure it is positioned correctly and how to avoid scoring the bath surface. The tips so far re the masking tape sound great. Thanks

I haven't a clue what the bath is made of

Yes you have.
Stop being a
confused-smiley-013.gif
blonde.
Plastic or metal!

Think it must be plastic then cos the salesman promoted it because it had more fibreglass reinforcing than another brand. :oops:

Pam50 said:
Think it must be plastic then cos the salesman promoted it because it had more fibreglass reinforcing than another brand. :oops:

so its fibre glass then

yes deeinently use masking tape, and measure to centres at least 3 times, also make allowance for nut under tap (dont want tap too close to edge)

as for cutter get a proper hole cutter of the right size

then before actual drilling try to cut a hole in an old cardboard box (with hole cutter) , see is the actual whole the right size, card board boxes are cheap, bath isnt

and still drill a pilot hole to save slipping

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back