Making life easier for my spread?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
id dearly love to present my plasterer with a clear ceiling/wall without any wires hanging out of it that he has to work around. He's also said its easier if I don't drill holes either, but then I have he awkward job of finding cables and not damaging them. I'd like to know if there's a reliable way to leave small holes, push the wires inside but in a way where they both a) won't drop inside the wall and b) won't foul his trowel. He can skim right over the hole for all I care and then I'll break the skim off afterwards. Same for light switches etc, because here drywall boxes I'd like to mount them first because of the lip, then maybe scrim over the whole thing, then he can plaster over it and I can cut the skim out after?
what's e best way?

He's on a metre rate so technically it shouldn't matter but for most of my build I've looked for ways to make the trades lives easier cos I wouldn't want customers making my job harder just because they were ignorantly forcing the hard way..

Sponsored Links
That's rubbish him telling you not to drill holes , go ahead and drill them then push wires up fold them in 2 and push them up so they are not protruding they will stay put until pulled down again the holes don't make any diff look in my album you will see a lid there with lots of holes in I done

That's rubbish him telling you not to drill holes , go ahead and drill them then push wires up fold them in 2 and push them up so they are not protruding they will stay put until pulled down again the holes don't make any diff look in my album you will see a lid there with lots of holes in I done
Standard practice as well to get the holes and wires sorted

depends on the size of the holes, nothing worse than plastering a ceiling with hole cut for down lighters and dollops of plaster fall out into your eye. All the sparks I work with have a simple rule. If the able is clipped to the joist pull it through the board if it doesn't, then tack over it and the sparks keep a map of where the holes will be cut after the plastering.

Sponsored Links
The point isn't whether the plasterer can or can't plaster the ceiling with holes or not, the point is it's unnecessary and blobs of plaster do fall out. I'm not a plasterer by trade, so obviously not as skilled as some, but can assure you that it happens to plasterers who have been 40 years in the trade, having had to drive one to A and E last year.
I'm sure given the choice that both of you would rather plaster a ceiling without the holes.
Personally I try where possible to keep plasterers and wires separate, some have a habit of doing the most ridiculous things to cables that get in their way.

Well as I said in post its awkward for some mainly people who are not experienced and tbh holes don't make a blind bit of difference to a good spread and yes I've had plaster in eye but not from holes, holes are so easy , and your saying its unnecessary? All the lids I've skimmed and its hundreds ,the holes and wires were done first that's the way the contractors do it you can't have someone going over a 100m2 lid looking for say 30 wires and making holes after its been skimmed the only holes I ever find a pain is access hatches with frames on like this as you have to skim round em and espec when you have about 10 in one lid but normal holes? Let's get back to the point because no ones missing any point the op was told not to make any holes if I ever heard a spread say they would cause him trouble then I wouldn't employ him because it would show his inexperience

At the end if the day it is necessary , its necessary to be able to come in and skim a lid when all the work has been done, holes made and wires fitted its done this way because it's the best, its the easiest, and its the fastest way to do things after skimming so many lids you forget about the holes

I totally agree with Steve. A ceiling, or walls for that matter, is not put up to suit a plasterer. It is very often necessary to put holes here and there for cables, downlighers, sockets etc. It's great when there are none to worry about, but to a plasterer who knows his job, it's not a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back