Making sense of water pipes- nasty hammer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So my house suffers from bad water hammer, worse with the washing machine or dishwasher. It bangs through the whole house and more prominently in cupboards that run up to the attic.

From previous chats with a neighbor two owners a go son was a plumber so "it should be in good condition" from my experience your son was a cowboy. In the crawl space CH pipes hanging in mid air, looking like they once where supported by a bent over coat hanger fed through joists.

Anyway...

So investigating the issue the main in comer t junctions off, one up one down. Upstairs in-line cupboard is blocked off (big wardrobe) and pipe work blocked in so up in the attic where I knew there was a valve before. Proper investigation reveals that this valve is part of a loop round system, again not secured to anything in the attic.
Pipe comes up vertical, turns horizontal, does a 90, valve, 90, back to vertical. It looks like it once fed the water tank (there's two unused upthere) and been turned around at this point to go back somewhere...only thing is I'm not sure where it goes to.
Cupboard down stairs has the main water pipe, 2xCH pipes and three that are either blocked off or left open (I'd love to remove them but don't see how without dismantling half the house). This matches with what's been left the same in the attic.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Obviously going to try and investigate further but was looking for a starting point.

Sponsored Links
So had an other look. The U shape return goes back down the wall and looks like it goes under the floor boards/ceiling. Makes sense as I'm sure I've used the valve before to turn off the cold water to the bathroom.

I can try securing it at the top (in the attic) but I don't think this small section will be causing the noise, it's like someone slamming a door in the same room.

And update;
Thought I bought the right size pip clips but they weren't. Typical.
But while back in the attic pulled out an unused/disconnected (hopefully) pipe, just be 5-6m long, the length of the attic and will need a pipe cutter to reduce the size to remove it. And the bang has quietened down too, but not disappeared.
Just need the right size to attempt to secure the lose bit and will try and remove the other unused pipes too.

Might be worth buying a water hammer arrestor as well and put it on the end of the dead end pipe?.

Sponsored Links
Might be worth buying a water hammer arrestor as well and put it on the end of the dead end pipe?.
Yeah, that is part of the plan if trying to solve lose pipes don't work. Where's the best place for it? I thought after the mains inlet was the best place but since we have a t-piece only being used as a corner can it go there?

Realised I never uploaded a picture of up in the attic.
28l6idt.jpg

Worth a try where your stop end is?.

Bear in mind I'm not a plumber though, maybe see if anyone else wants to chime in?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back