Making sliding wardrobe doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im looking to make some sliding wardrobe doors and was after some advice and help....

Im really only after a very simple design and was thinking of using 18mm thick MDF panels, (2200mmx720mm roughly) and then making a simple design as pictured on the link(i think this is a "shaker" style??) and finish with white paint....
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...efview=lister&ts=1250936942925&isSearch=false

The quetions i have are, ... as these are available for £90 in B&Q....
Am i going to be able to make them for much less than this? and is it actually feasible to fit the sliding wardobe mechanism easily to handmade doors, or am i going to encounter all sorts of issues with this?

OR, could anybody let me know where this simple style of sliding door is available for less than £90 or is the cheapest im going to getthem for?

Any help at all would be appreciated!!!
Regards

Andy

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome andrewdavies33 :D :D :D

you need to sus out your track mecanism first as this will tell you your minimum and maximum thickness and weight of the doors

what tools and skills do you have !!!!

do you have a router chop saw or circular saw!!

erm...

i have a completley average amount of skill!!!
I do have / can borrow some of the tools though, but do have circsaw and jigsaw,
I was hoping to get the pieces for the actual construction of the door pre-cut.
I was hpoing for some advice as to the ease/ cost of making or buying the doors.
Obviously i understand £90 is probably the cheapest price i would get for a door of the "high stree" but just wondered if this was something that could not be re-created at home
I just wondered if it is feasible to actually buy the sliding door "gear" and if so can they be fitted to any doo?

In an ideal world i would like to have a "high" gloss style wardrobe sliding door but know that this is quite difficult with MDF.- could a single sheet of MFC in this style be sourced and used for this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back