Making your own door linings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been renovating my 1880's home since we bought the property in November last year and the next job I want to tackle is replacing the tired door linings and fitting new doors.

As you can appreciate none of the openings are standard sizes so I intend to install new door linings to suit standard doors 2'3"/2'6" etc. The main reason why I cannot use door lining sets is all the walls are different thicknesses ranging from 200mm to 108mm.

I intend to buy door lining timber in straight lengths and make them up to the sizes required. Can someone advise me on the best way to do this and the steps I should follow to ensure a job?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Well personally i'd buy a cheapish table saw to rip down the lengths of timber to your req'd width as like you say all are different, then i'd buy a sliding mitre saw, i'd use this to to form the joint in the head of each lining. You would do this by setting the depth stop on the saw to only cut halfway through your timber then make multiple passes to form a wide groove the thickness of the sides (jambs)

A slider will also come in very handy if your doing your skirtings too and will save you time and headaches in the long run

I have been renovating my 1880's home since we bought the property in November last year and the next job I want to tackle is replacing the tired door linings and fitting new doors.

As you can appreciate none of the openings are standard sizes so I intend to install new door linings to suit standard doors 2'3"/2'6" etc. The main reason why I cannot use door lining sets is all the walls are different thicknesses ranging from 200mm to 108mm.

I intend to buy door lining timber in straight lengths and make them up to the sizes required. Can someone advise me on the best way to do this and the steps I should follow to ensure a job?

Thanks.

Wouldn't it be at least as easy to cut the doors fit the linings?

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back