Makita Dhp481 replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The batteries have died after 7 tortuous years in my Aeg cordless so looking for a replacement.
Has anyone who has previous experience of a makita Dhp481 started using its more compact replacement, the Dhp486?
I can still get the former but newer doesn't always mean better.
I have seen quite a few vids comparing speed etc.
Thanks
litl

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Can't see you getting much response - the 486 hasn't been around many months (when I replaced my 481 in August/September last year it wasn't available). The 486 is 27mm shorter than the 481, which is a bonus, but other than that only a modest gain on torque and you now depend on the battery lights for charge state. I don't imagine that Makita would put out a lemon, though, as this is their 4th (?) heavy duty 18 volt LXT combi and the last two (458 brushed and 481 brushless) certainly ironed out the bugs from the original 3-speed model

They did the same sort of things with impact drivers - the DTD170 was a marked improvement over the DTD145, the DTD171 was slightly more powerful but mainly added a few functions and improved dust/water proofing, whilst the DTD172 is really only a tidy-up model where they've sorted out some of the quirks from the 171

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us know how you get on with it, although I doubt I'll be buying one just yet with having an almost new 481 in my tool box

Sponsored Links
Let us know how you get on with it, although I doubt I'll be buying one just yet with having an almost new 481 in my tool box
I can't believe how small it is compared to a Dhp453 IMG_20220224_101342538.jpg

They'll be like chalk and cheese - the 453 can't pull the skin off a rice pudding! The 481, in comparison, is a bit of a beast, but heavy...

The dhp458 is brushed but powerful enough for boring mortices for door locks, or bolts in beams in gear 1. It's top speed will drive in screws very quickly, although it is on the heavy side so best used with an impact driver for fast repetitive screwdriving. They were going for £50 bare a few years back, I suspect they were being phased out in anticipation of the brushless 481 then being introduced, but are selling well and the price has gone back up, still good value though.

Blup

They'll be like chalk and cheese - the 453 can't pull the skin off a rice pudding! The 481, in comparison, is a bit of a beast, but heavy...
My Son bought the 453 package purely for the batteries in it as he has a 481.
He gave me the 453 to try and as you say it's pretty weak but was useful to save me changing bits drilling and driving 400 screws straight off

He gave me the 453 to try and as you say it's pretty weak but was useful to save me changing bits drilling and driving 400 screws straight off
A few years back there was a guy on another forum, just out of his apprenticeship, who was complaining bitterly about how crap Makita combi drills were and how he and his mates were always breaking them. He eventually admitted that they were drilling into brickwork to fix door frames, on a price - using DHP453s. He took a bit of persuading that a drill which cost all of £28 (or thereabouts at the time) might not be designed for the task he was doing and if he was any sort of serious tradesman he'd buy himself an SDS drill or a DHP458 combi at the very least to do the job (there are other drills in between as well).

There is nothing wrong with the 453 providing you bear in mind that it has a relatively low power motor, a plastic gearbox casing and nylon gear wheels - so it's designed for light use (basic DIY, handyman, flat pack assembly, etc) and not as a heavy site tool which will be constantly hammered. But surely the price point should indicate this?

Screwfix do offers from time to time on the 453 and it is cheaper to keep the batteries and sell the drill, charger and case, than buy the batteries new.

The 453 is a good diy/light trade drill if you are putting in red plugs and 4x40mm screws.

Blup

They (DHP453) are the lowest spec brushed motor and have nylon gears. Good little drill for handyman stuff, but not really up to heavy work.

Quite a few years ago I had a DHP452, the next model up - basically slightly smaller, slightly more powerful. It was good enough for a lot of jobs, but it couldn't drill anything other than soft blockwork or soft brickwork and it wasn't good with auger bits over about 16mm (the same goes for any low end drill from any manufacturer - they have their limitations). My DHP452 was displaced by a heavier drill after about 3 years of sustained use and gifted to my apprentice at the time who had no drill of his own. Still in use 2 years later when he bought a new kit.it, too, has nylon gears, but the lad took the advice of several of us to buy an SDS drill for masonry

Last edited by a moderator:
They are the lowest spec brushed motor and have nylon gears. Good little drill for handyman stuff, but not really up to heavy work.

Quite a few years ago I had a DHP452, the next model up - basically slightly smaller, slightly more powerful. It was good enough for a lot of jobs, but it couldn't drill anything other than soft blockwork or soft brickwork and it wasn't good with auger bits over about 16mm (the same goes for any low end drill from any manufacturer - they have their limitations). My DHP452 was displaced by a heavier drill after about 3 years of sustained use and gifted to my apprentice at the time who had no drill of his own. Still in use 2 years later when he bought a new kit.it, too, has nylon gears, but the lad took the advice of several of us to buy an SDS drill for masonry
With the cheapest price for batteries I can findhttps://www.buyaparcel.com/2-x-genu...TFO8lYR97M4ma4KOWUCC6-8o6aYVyyIxoCJQcQAvD_BwE
The drill and charger are for free

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back