Makita Lithium ion cordless drill battery – is there a probl

I don't use them but I've sold them in the past (note, in the past!)

The only question I would ask is "if there wasn't a problem with the Makita 18v Lithium batteries, then why would they change them (new star type)"?

The problem with their 18v batteries are well known to anyone who has sold them over the last 5 or 6 years - they simply got round the problem by replacing them - no questions asked. Excellent customer service, but only really treating the symptoms instead of treating the problem.

Sponsored Links
makita for some reason didnt fit "cell protection " to their tools or batteries
if the battery is overloaded , gets hot or is run right down then it buggers it !

the starred batteries now have cell protection - but only if fitted to a cell protection tool

problems mainly occured when using a high drain tool such as a circ saw or angle grinder

it does tell you this in the instructions so technically if you overheat a battery it could be called misuse but give makita their due they have always exchanged without a fuss

all li-on batterys have the same problems, each manufacture has a swanky name for there cell protection but they are all there to stop the cells hitting a certain temp which frys them. Also the reason the power drops of so quick is because they cell protection is there to stop the cells voltage dropping below a certain level which kills the batterys. The "cell protections" are as likely to go wrong as the cells imo.

i had a bosch 36v batt stop working after 10 charges but because it was 13months old bosch would not touch it. Panasonic cells seem to get the best feedback.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back