Which Makita Cordless?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need a new combi drill for general DIY use, Screwfix have a couple of offers on 18V Makita's and there's also an additional 10% this weekend.

1. Makita 83191 Ni-Cad inc 3 batteries £99

2. Makita BHP452 Li-Ion inc 1 battery £149

No. 2 is probably a better drill but the single battery will probably cause limitations.

I'd welcome any opinions on either drill :)

Sponsored Links
I a bit sad, and have both of these :rolleyes: , well last years model of the ni-cad anyway. They are BOTH great!

If i were in your position, i'd get the Lithium one. It's lighter, and even though it comes only with one battery, they only take 22 minutes to charge, and they're 3.0Ah, rather than 1.3, which you get with the first one. If you do get the lithium one, you can add a second battery for £50, (£45, if you get it by sunday). Also it comes in the Aluminium case with the foam insert, so you can jab loads of drill bits into it so they don't end up rolling around inside, or getting lost.

Quite a few people don't like the Makita Li-on range, but i've always found them really good.

:oops: sorry, it's £80 for the extra battery, SAVE £50, i hate it when they write it like that! :evil:

but you can pick them up on Fleabay for about £50.

thanks for your reply, is there any noticeable difference in either the power of battery life of either drill?

Sponsored Links
3 amp 22min charger battery goes flat have a cup off tea job sorted

....is there any noticeable difference in either the power of battery life of either drill?

I'd say not really, but i'm sure the Specs will tell you what the torques are.
Naturally you get longer life from the bigger 3Ah batts. Also the lithiums have a belt hook on them which is rather handy, particularly if you don't have a 'Wyatt Erp style wild west gun slinger holster' :D

The beauty of the lithium is it can be charged before/after use or while you're not using it at that moment in time, regardless of it's charge state, or part-charged for a few minutes if it's gone flat and you just need a bit of juice to complete something. There's no need to cycle it (flat-> full charge) like nickel based batteries, so there's less need to have extra batteries.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back