Makita drill, Nicad or Li-ion? (occasional DIY use)

Sponsored Links
well the link says in theory the memory effect can be reversed by draining the battery right down and recharging. think everyone tried that with their nicad batteries and they still ended up in the bin.

well the link says in theory the memory effect can be reversed by draining the battery right down and recharging. think everyone tried that with their nicad batteries and they still ended up in the bin.

The memory effect does not occur in power tools.

If we have established that NiCd batteries, and the tools that need them, end up in the skip, then quibbling over the reasons is not especially valuable.

Sponsored Links
If we have established that NiCd batteries, and the tools that need them, end up in the skip, then quibbling over the reasons is not especially valuable.

They don't all end up in the skip. I'm so very sorry you don't feel knowing facts rather than myths perpetuated by persons equally as uneducated as yourself is worthwhile.

I see you added the word "all"

what a silly, rude, argumentative little man you are.

I see you added the word "all"

what a silly, rude, argumentative little man you are.

And yours was implied. You're no better, you know. That's why you're still here having a go at me for bringing facts to a discussion.

For anyone reading this......
Ni-cad are shoite.

Lithion are good.

Monkey talks drivel.

For anyone reading this......
Ni-cad are shoite.

Lithion are good.

Monkey talks drivel.

Ever used GPS at night?

You can thank the NiCd batteries which have been floating around up there for 10+ years for it. NiCd is a perfectly good technology, and not at all to blame for tools with cheap packs, cheaper chargers, and even cheaper users.

Li-Ion's still usually a better choice for power tools.

Everybody with a DIY cordless drill using 10-year-old batteries of Satellite cost, quality and long life, please step forward.

What, no one?

Hardly relevant, then.

Everybody with a DIY cordless drill using batteries of Satellite cost, quality and long life, please step forward.

What, no one?

Hardly relevant, then.

Nor is the memory effect you people harp on about relevant.

NiCd exists outside power tools and even within power tools, good implementations exist. Harping on about how NiCd sucks with no qualifiers is misleading.

They're also used as starter batteries in aircraft and large gen sets, and backup batteries in decent emergency lighting systems. They've even been used as forklift batteries instead of lead-acid, because apart from needing care to avoid overcharging, they're much better at it.

They are, unfortunately, going away now because of a mixture of the cadmium content (because lead is so much better) and the ignorant belief of the masses that they're bad batteries. That and NiMH being cheaper (except to the consumer!), unfortunately, NiMH suck at many of the applications NiCd are good for (like certain types of power tool).

They're also used as starter batteries in aircraft and large gen sets, and backup batteries in decent emergency lighting systems. They've even been used as forklift batteries instead of lead-acid, because apart from needing care to avoid overcharging, they're much better at it

which is totally irrelevant to this thread, just like your satellites.

They're also used as starter batteries in aircraft and large gen sets, and backup batteries in decent emergency lighting systems. They've even been used as forklift batteries instead of lead-acid, because apart from needing care to avoid overcharging, they're much better at it

which is totally irrelevant to this thread, just like your satellites.

And the rest of my post doesn't exist, because it doesn't further your agenda of bashing.

Carry on being stupid, I'll leave you to it. I've injected plenty enough good advice and knowledge in this thread now.

Got a couple of sets of Dewalt 14.4 drills about 10 years ago from B&Q (2x combi drills and 2x drill/drivers with 2x 2.4ah NiCad batteries each) which are doing very well thank you... (£99 each set)

Used on and off for differing work loads and with no regard as to whether they are fully charged/recharged...

And I would guess that the batteries still give about 75% of what they produced when new...

Not taken in by the anti-Nicad sentiment myself!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back