Longetivity of Li-Ion Batteries (SilverLine Drills)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The oldest drill set I have is a cheap set called SilverLine drills 1x drill driver and 1x impact driver with 2x 10.8v Li-Ion batteries 1.3Ah.
I bought the set from Amazon Warehouse for £50 free delivery 2014, so it is 9 years old. The set came in a nice moulded hardcase, 2x 10.8v 1.3 Ah batteries, 1x charegr and 2x drills, hardly used from NEW (they looked NEW) so it was a good buy at the time. It had been used quite a lot.
But I bought another drill set from Bosch, so the SilverLine drills had not been used for about 5 years now.

When I opened the box, tested the SilverLine drills the other day, they were still working fine.
It made me think - how many years can these cheap drills last? And especially the Li-Ion batteries???

What is the official data for the longetivity of Li-Ion batteries?
What are your oldest drills and batteries, and how old are they?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Every time you charge and use the power up, you are doing a cycle. The manufacturers often state how many average cycles the battery will last.

When a device is not going to be used for a while, it is best to have it charged to about 60%. It is better for the batteries health.

i posted a thread about my experience with bosch blue 10.8v/12v batteries from between 5 years ago and 15 years ago and still in use and age made little difference
now it wasnt a scientific test and havent done a similar test on my ryobi or dewalt 18v stuff but my 15 year old ryobi 2.4ah are certainly down to perhaps 15-20% capacity or less

Not sure how much the SilverLine 10.8V 1.3ah batteries are down or not, but they still seems charging OK, and are powerful as they were 2014. I have 3x batteries for them (1x bought as spare - no not the book, but the battery) :D

Sponsored Links
found the thread

I found a realted thread as well.

Many folks seem have false idea about the SilverLine Drills. They are very good.
I was going to sell them, but after testing again - decided to keep.

To me, SilverLine drills are far better than any of ALDI drills, and almost par with the Bosch drills.
The slow turning gear in the SilverLine Drills are accurate as good as the Bosch drills. And after 9 years, they still work like NEW. They were heavily used and dropped from about 1 - 2m height onto the ground a few times but no problems.

None of the ALDI drills can do it - they seem spin in just a set slow speed and fast speed only. (watched in youtube).

Last edited:
I found a realted thread as well.

Many folks seem have false idea about the SilverLine Drills. They are very good.
I was going to sell them, but after testing again - decided to keep.

To me, SilverLine drills are far better than any of ALDI drills, and almost par with the Bosch drills.
The slow turning gear in the SilverLine Drills are accurate as good as the Bosch drills. And after 9 years, they still work like NEW. They were heavily used and dropped from about 1 - 2m height onto the ground a few times but no problems.

None of the ALDI drills can do it - they seem spin in just a set slow speed and fast speed only. (watched in youtube).
you have to be careful forming opinions on a small sample you need at least 10 random results to start a pattern and hundreds to form a fair comparason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back