Makita drill, Nicad or Li-ion? (occasional DIY use)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
both links failed here
a "battery" needs at least 1.7-2ah to be off any real use
lion with hammer action will serve your needs best
and around 1hr charge essential especially on lower rated batteries more so nicads

Go for Li-ion if you can. NiCd will self discharge over time so after a month of no use the battery will need charging before it's of any use, thus you spend the first hour of your diy time not using a drill.

Sponsored Links
Ni-cd is a biatch for memory effect too. The batteries should not be stored charged which makes them pretty pointless.

Ni-cd is a biatch for memory effect too. The batteries should not be stored charged which makes them pretty pointless.

Memory effect is not a problem in power tools. NiCd can be stored fully discharged (shorted, if you like..), partially charged, or fully charged. They don't care.

That said, get the li-ion. It's a superior bit of kit.

100% no choice in my eyes the 3ah lion will run for about 3.5-4 time a 1.3ah battery as they are more efficient at using the fuel in the battery

100% no choice in my eyes the 3ah lion will run for about 3.5-4 time a 1.3ah battery as they are more efficient at using the fuel in the battery

Technically, you get more usable capacity out of a NiCd.

li-ion every time. when you pick it up after 3 months sitting in the cupboard it will have a useable charge in it.

if you are an occasional DIY user, the NiCd battery will most likely fail of age while the tool still looks like new.

if you are an occasional DIY user, the NiCd battery will most likely fail of age while the tool still looks like new.

Unused NiCds last a very long time. Li-Ions degrade when unused.

The sheer amount of misinformation spread about battery technology boggles the mind.

Technically, you get more usable capacity out of a nicad.

that flies in face of what i have always believed :LOL:
as in nicads have memory effect and can have reverse polarity if cells are completely flat within a battery pack
and li ions are around 40% more efficient claimed by manufacturers over nicads
have you any"compelling" information to teach one "that is always learning "
;)

If Monkeh would like to pay the postage, I could send him several such examples.

Technically, you get more usable capacity out of a nicad.

that flies in face of what i have always believed :LOL:

Belief and physical fact are separate things.

Li-Ion batteries cannot be fully discharged or they die. The protection circuits are voltage operated, and as such will trigger on a high-current load before the battery is discharged to its nominal empty state. NiCds will discharge until there simply isn't enough voltage remaining for the load to function, right down to 0 volts if the load is capable of it. And then be charged right back up with no ill effect, cell balance issues aside.

as in nicads have memory effect and can have reverse polarity if cells are completely flat within a battery pack

NiCd memory effect is irrelevant to power tools. Please look up the exact circumstances in which it occurs and try and replicate them..

Polarity reversal can occur, and is usually triggered by cases of overcharging causing poor cell balance, although severe abuse can also cause it.

have you any"compelling" information to teach one "that is always learning "
;)

Please do some proper research on battery technology. There are entire books written about the subject. NiCds run many spacecraft. They work well. That is not to say Li-Ion is not a better solution for many power tools. I am, in fact, all in favour of Li-Ion. I just wish people would base the decision on facts, not myths and experiences of poor quality hardware.

If Monkeh would like to pay the postage, I could send him several such examples.

I have bad NiCd packs too, and they pretty much all suffered from overcharging.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back