Makita drill, Nicad or Li-ion? (occasional DIY use)

don't do books never have :D
have you any links to relevant articles please:cool:

Sponsored Links
don't do books never have :D
have you any links to relevant articles please:cool:

You could read this, regarding memory effect: http://www.repairfaq.org/ELE/F_NiCd_Memory.html

Unfortunately, you'll find much of the information on these topics is both non-free and predates the internet (NiCd having been an established, well understood chemistry by the early 70s, and still in use in aircraft and spacecraft to this day.. Li-Ion hasn't gone down so well in aircraft).

You may actually have to visit a proper technical library.

The datasheets and application notes for charging circuits going back to the 60s for a variety of battery chemistries are also very enlightening.

thank you
i understand the dangers in confined spaces as in several fires on planes with wrongly transported li-ions and overheating in service batteries
again thank you for your help ;)

Sponsored Links
I don't know what planet Monkeh is on but he is clueless about batteries.

I have been working with battery powered tools for decades and can tell you as a pro - Lith-ion pi$$es all over ni-cad in performance and longevity.

I have lost count of the ni-cad powered tools that became redundant after only a short time. I honestly can not believe they still sell ni-cad powered tools.

At least three of my lith-ion powered units have had to have mechanical servicing due to their prolonged usage.

As John D said, you are more likely to be throwing away a perfectly good unit due to shoite ni-cads rather than a worn out tool.

I don't know what planet Monkeh is on but he is clueless about batteries.

One where we do research instead of blaming a good technology for cheap tat and perpetuating myths.

I note that your argument doesn't include a word about the cells and their performance, merely moaning that poorly constructed packs fail.

does Monkey deny that NiCd batteries on DIY tools frequently fail before the tool itself?

does Monkey deny that NiCd batteries on DIY tools frequently fail before the tool itself?

No, I simply disagree (based on understanding the technology) as to the why of it. NiMH batteries usually die before the tool, too. As did first gen Li-Ion (especially Makita ones, usually for the same reason NiCds died, only faster: user error). NiCds employed with the same care Li-Ion requires (because Li-Ion can catch fire..) last very well indeed.

However, the difference between a battery technology and the application of it appears to be too subtle a point for this forum.

Does JohnE deny he came in here purely to have a go at me for daring to know more about a subject?

No

Good.

:rolleyes:

I bow before your excellence, oh bloke who has bought some cheap tools before.

You could try reading some of my posts properly and understanding what I've said, then you might see that I agree that Li-Ion are more suitable for the task at hand.

you wasted a great deal of everybody's time then.

I presume that people are especially interested in the answer to the question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back