Silverline

At that price It can't be that bad.

feel free to make that assumption with your money, not mine!

Well not necessarily just about money (but obviously very important if it's your job!!), I'm a DIY'er but it's Makitas for me all the way, couple of dewalt bit's 'n' bobs as well. For me, and I'd guess the pro's as well is all about having a tool that you know will get the job done quickly and efficiently, Dr Drivel is probably right in saying that you could have 3x [insert cheaper brand of your choice] drills for, say, a Makita but think of the extra sapce you's need for the extra kit, also, on a green note, think of all the additional resources used to make that kit.

My philosophyh is this :-

Buy "once" buy well.

Sponsored Links
At that price It can't be that bad.

feel free to make that assumption with your money, not mine!

Well not necessarily just about money (but obviously very important if it's your job!!), I'm a DIY'er but it's Makitas for me all the way,

That is madness for DIY. Makita do make Maktec and Site - the cheaper options.

If you are toolaholic then you are pardoned - then buy Panasonic or Hilti, which are better than Makita.

Believe me many tradesmen buy cheapish tools and are pleasantly surprised when they last.

Yes its all about context and cost/use.

I'm sure I have some Silverline hand tools, which are for very occaional use or one off, but I would not rely on them for prolonged use - I can see that that they will not last - even see where they will eventually break.

And, I've also got some expensive well known brand ones which I have not used for a vey long time and were effectively a waste of money. But I wanted them :oops:

I'd generally agree that Silverline Pro may be an OK buy, but as long as the reasons for buying it are correct - cost and intended use.

Sponsored Links
Yes its all about context and cost/use.

I'm sure I have some Silverline hand tools, which are for very occaional use or one off, but I would not rely on them for prolonged use - I can see that that they will not last - even see where they will eventually break.

And, I've also got some expensive well known brand ones which I have not used for a vey long time and were effectively a waste of money. But I wanted them :oops:

I'd generally agree that Silverline Pro may be an OK buy, but as long as the reasons for buying it are correct - cost and intended use.

Yep. Like you, for prolonged use I buy decent stuff. Or, for precision I buy decent stuff. This Silverline angle drill is cheap and for occasional use is much better than a £120 DeWalt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back