Battery powered drills advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hankering after a battery powered drill that will drill through brickwork. I have a battery drill that is ok for bitting and bobbing but won't drill a hole into brickwork.

I'm after something more substantial that isn't mains powered.

I've seen an offer at Screwfix for a 18 volt De Walt drill and impact driver with 2 batteries, charger etc. for £150 that seems reasonable. The battery is 1.5 Ah though. I've seen in the Screwfix catalogue that more powerful batteries in the De Walt range mean substantially higher prices i.e. the De Walt set with the 2.0 Ah Li-Ion batteries is another hundred quid.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc...twin-pack/9801t?cm_sp=homepage-_-home-_-9801t

Any views?

I'm not a tradesperson and don't want to spend silly money. There is a Makita drill and driver set with 2.0 Ah batteries at Screwfix that are an extra fifteen quid I might stretch to.

Sponsored Links
ah is the fuel tank
the drill will have the same power but for longer

I have the makita twin pack - http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dl...ess-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/7342k

Its been brilliant. The packs charge in under an hour and they will do a good days work.

The reason for the price difference is due to the cost of 18650 lithium ion cells in the pack. 1.5Ah 18650s are very cheap 3Ah cells are around 3 times the price. There are also relatively few manufacturers of cells above 2.5Ah, so you tend to get better quality cells too.

I personally really don't like using percussion/hammer combi drills for drilling masonry. Is a corded SDS completely out of the question, they're pretty cheap these days. If you're already on a battery platform and have batteries would a bare SDS not be an option?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back