1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed on buying a battery powered drill

Discussion in 'Tools and Materials' started by Seafarer1966, 15 Nov 2018.

1. Seafarer1966

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I want a battery powered drill capable of drilling into brickwork (not into blues but common red brick) at least 50mm.

Any suggestions or feedback on suitable drills would be welcomed. I've seen a De Walt 4.0 Ah and a Milwaulkee 4.0 Ah in screwfix both for under £200 which meets the personal budget parameters but unsure if these could achieve what I want.

2. big-all

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    its volts you need preferably 18v [the engine ]some will call it 20v but its the same 5x3.6v battery cells in the packs
    you need hammer or percussion action not impact
    the batter ah[fuel tank] will only effect the run time not the power level but would never consider less than 2ah unless it has 2 batteries and a charge time around 1hr not the often 3-5hrs off cheaper lower ah batteries

3. EddieM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The Dewalt (can't comment on the Milwaukee, certainly used to be good) would be fine, in fact, overkill really. The general advice given by all above is sound though.

4. nickjb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Have a look at makita. The LXT range, ideally brushless. You will get one in budget. They are well made and powerful. The big plus is that once you have one you can buy other tools that use the same battery pretty cheaply. Of course other manufacturers offer bare tools using the same battery but makita seem to have the biggest range and the bare tools are usually well priced. You won't go wrong with dewalt or Milwaukee but that's my preference

5. foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    With any cordless drill the quality of the bit is important, you can often drill a brick without hammer action if the drill bit is sharp and good quality.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Seafarer1966

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you for the above posts lads. As of this morning I have bought a cordless drill. Ryobi 18 volt 4.0 Ah, hammer action, two speeds, with two batteries, charger and a case. On sale at B & Q at the moment for £140 which I didn't think was too bad as the 4.0 Ah batteries are £75 each on their own. It does drill 50 mm into red brick as well no problem (I've had a play with it). Quite a well made tool which I'm pleased with. The squaw just said she'll give me the money for it for me Christmas box. Happy days.

• Like Like x 1
  7. big-all

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    yes that is indeed the best price for that kit
    it has been on sale for perhaps 5 years now at b&q ranging as high as £175 but more usually between £148-£162 with the £140 being the best ever
    its actually a link in my favorates because i like to recommend that kit thats how i know the different prices :D:D
    does it still have the free carry bag ??
    https://www.diy.com/departments/ryo...-drill-2-batteries-llcdi18ll40s/546421_BQ.prd

the last time i looked the brushless 2x5ah was about £225 but now a better £180
    https://www.diy.com/departments/ryo...rill-2-batteries-r18pdbl-ll50s/1273274_BQ.prd

as an aside ryobi batteries used to be cheaper than the big boys with thev old nicads off 1.7ah would be around the£25-30 mark with dewalt batteries being around double that now its reversed with dewalts around £11 per ah at 4ah 44 5 ah 55 with ryobi now 60-80% more

Last edited: 16 Nov 2018
  8. Seafarer1966

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes Big-All my owd it does come with a nice carry case. Today the newly acquired Ryobi cordless surpassed my expectations. I'm fastening 3mm stud plastic wall membrane to bare brick interior walls to address a damp issue. Those familiar with the system will know about the numerous wall fixings necessary to avoid sagging and bulges (you can't plaster over a wobbly surface). Today I drilled 200 x 50mm holes into red brick for the membrane fixings and the first battery on the Ryobi is still full of charge. Bang on...what a tool! Mind you me knees are killing me. I'm just forcing myself to down a few pints of falling down water. Back on the membrane tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  9. big-all

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  10. Astra99

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Aldi have an 18V combi drill (with two batteries) on offer at the moment - £49.99. I personally have the 14.4V version which I bought last year, and it will drill brickwork quite happily. (This is NOT the brushless model in a red box. That one is only a drill driver)
    EDIT - This drill is now reduced to £44.99! Even better value (Mon 19/11/18)

FURTHER EDIT Now £39.99. I bought one as a spare! (24/11/18)

Last edited: 24 Nov 2018
  11. big-all

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    as an aside
    ryobi supply ph[phillips ]bits with there drills they do not fit on 95% on wood screws
    you need a pz[pozy]pz2 bit for most with some small pz1 and no12+ pz3

12. opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    And from time to time you might need a JIS bit set.

https://rhinotools.com.au/product/vessel-jis-screwdriver-bits/

I often find that windows furniture is supplied with Japanese Industry Standard screws that get mashed up if you use a phillips or pozidrive.

13. big-all

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom