Ideas for DIY li-ion 18v charger?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

Anyone have any ideas on how I can rig up a DIY charging system for a 18V li-ion battery from a Worx hammer drill?

The charger that came with the kit has stopped working. The LED light no longer comes on. I'm no longer in the UK so the warranty is no good to me.

The drill's still going strong so it'd be a waste to chuck it. But buying a replacement charger (if I can even find one) and shipping it over doesn't make economical sense either.

Thanks!

[/url]

Sponsored Links
Li ion is pretty dangerous stuff and may explode if over charged so I'd be pretty careful. Can you get the charger repaired locally?

yeah that's what I heard too.

I probably could get it repaired locally but it'll come down to whether it makes sense financially. Might be better off just getting another drill.

Hate that the charger's the weakest link here. The drill works splendidly!

Have you checked the fuse and wire connections in plug? after this the wire connections at the unit end are always suspect, if you can establish a local fix it man is your best bet...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your suggestion! I'll see if I can open it up. I do notice the charger heats up, but not the battery. Perhaps it's just the LED indicator light that's gone.

Have you checked the fuse and wire connections in plug? after this the wire connections at the unit end are always suspect, if you can establish a local fix it man is your best bet...pinenot :)

I had a McAlister charger go on me a while back. I found it was a thermal fuse that was next to the positive connection, and it had over heated. I changed it and it sorted the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back