Cordless drill for home use - current screwfix offer???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Potential birthday pressie from missuss...

DeWalt XRP DC988L1 18V Li-Ion Cordless Combi Drill

Powerful, excellent value tool with Dewalt XRP technology for hammer-drilling and screwdriving applications. Features all-metal gearing and mechanical safety clutch.
1 x 2.0Ah Li-lon Battery
40min Charger
3-Speed Variable
13mm Keyless Chuck
22 Torque Settings
Electric Brake
Replaceable Brushes
Fan-Cooled Motor
Rubber-Coated Grip
DC988L1, battery, charger, multi-position side handle, carry case.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/74113?cm_sp=CatBanners-_-position2-_-Powertools&ts=68891#

Apparently 1/2 price @ £149 worth getting?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, it's got DeWalt on the side of it.

Much better to go the extra £10.95 and get something decent from the Bosch Blue range, I'd recommend this one http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php...=12577&l=uk&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base

DeWalt's reputation and quality has gone through the floor of late, Bosch on the other hand are building great quality tools backed up by three-year warranties.

Sponsored Links
I've had dewalt tools for years and have to say I've never had a problem with them. However, I recently brought an angled drill/driver and the boody thing burnt out last week after 6 months of use - looks like they may be going down hill OR I may just have been unlucky. At that price I'd be tempted to take a gamble and find out.

PS - the XRP is a nice drill, not the budget end of there range

dewalt used to be the best when I was an apprentice. It's what everyone used.

Over the last 4 or 5 years it seems they have started building to a price and the quality has taken a massive nose dive

Thanks guys - some helpful comments there :cool:

Currently looking at Bosch GSB18VE-2LI 18V Turbo Tough Li-ion Combi Drill for £255
http://tooltray.com/Combi-Drills/Bosch-GSB18VE-2LI-18V-Turbo-Tough-Li-ion-Combi-Drill.htm

GSB18VE-2LI.jpg

:cool: ?

The variation on the model is bewildering though - some with 2 x 1.3 Ah batteries instead of 2.6 Ah, some with 3 x1.3s some with no hammer action - some with NiMH batteries instead :eek: :rolleyes:

- I might end up going to screwfix for the DeWalt after all :LOL: - at least I can see what I'm getting and they have a no-quible replacement policy for 12 months :LOL: - and I can have it NOW! - well, actually I have a 10% off voucher from my internet purchase - which runs from 1st July - and they can't let me redeem it early :cry: - So if I want it today it would cost £15 pounds more than if I wait 'till Thursday!!! :LOL:

i would definatly go for the dewalt or ryobi
both manufacturers keep the same fittings for new style tools and batteries
in other words old batteries and new tools fit as do old tools and new batteries
this dosnt apply to bosch makita hitachi or any off the other main manufacturers
ryobi have over 30 tools for the home and garden that fit the one plus battery

http://uk.ryobitools.eu/one-plus-the-world-s-most-flexible-cordless-tool-system.htm

The variation on the model is bewildering though - some with 2 x 1.3 Ah batteries instead of 2.6 Ah, some with 3 x1.3s some with no hammer action - some with NiMH batteries instead :eek: :rolleyes: Look more closely and you will see that each of the ones you have listed has different model numbers. The ones with the smaller batteries are GSB18v-2-LiC, the standard one with the 2.6aH ones is GSB18v-2-Li, the ones with no hammer action are denoted GSR rather than GSB, and the ones with NiMH batteries are GSB or GSR18VE2. It's clear when you look closely at it, don't let it put you off

- I might end up going to screwfix for the DeWalt after all :LOL: - at least I can see what I'm getting and they have a no-quibble replacement policyhaha yeah right, until you actually try to use it, then watch them wriggle out for 12 months Bosch's is three years rather than one, I've used it once and they collected the tool from site and had it back to me in five days, in my previous life as a DeWalt owner I've known things take three weeks to go through the repair system, and often be returned with an excuse as to why it doesn't qualify for the warranty :evil: - and I can have it NOW! - well, actually I have a 10% off voucher from my internet purchase - which runs from 1st July - and they can't let me redeem it early :cry: - So if I want it today it would cost £15 pounds more than if I wait 'till Thursday!!! :LOL:

Seriously, lose all ideas of getting a DeWalt, it'll probably be rubbish, buy Bosch and buy once. Big-all's suggestion that the batteries are backwards compatible doesn't really apply unless you've got another DeWalt already, and you still need different chargers AFAIK. Ryobi One+ is worth a look though, heard good things about them

Seriously, lose all ideas of getting a DeWalt, it'll probably be rubbish, buy Bosch and buy once. Big-all's suggestion that the batteries are backwards compatible doesn't really apply unless you've got another DeWalt already, and you still need different chargers AFAIK. Ryobi One+ is worth a look though, heard good things about them

fair comments from your experience with dewalt muggles :D :D
i have a flip saw' pull saw 'circ saw' and in 18v all from dewalt angle drill 'jigsaw 'recip saw plunge saw 'lam trimmer 'angle grinder 2 speed hammer drill 3 speed hammer drill and have had no trouble with any
granted i am workshop based so the 18 volt toys although in continuose use
they are not thrashed

my only complaint is the 10 year old nicad batterys have to be held on with tape or elastic band because the catches have gone lol

i've got a 2002 dewalt drill/driver, it gets thrashed, lots of drilling metal, loads of screw work, been dropped more times than i can count, just bought 2 new batteries for it as the orignals wern't holding much charge

also got a dewalt mains drill, it broke a couple of years ago, got stuck in one gear, took it apart, ordered the part from the exploded diagram in the manual and it was back working.

I don't quite see what all the fuss is with Dewalts build quality, i have an old 708 slider, an 18v quick release jigsaw, an 18v li-on impact, an 18v li-on drill/driver, radio, 24v SDS, 110v 9" circular and a 18v 2nd fix nailer and the only problem i've ever had was the trigger on the nailer failed, took it to my local tool shop, i didn't by it from them and didn't even have the receipt, booked it in for repair, got a phone call later that day i believe (was a while ago) telling me its all done...........and no charge sir!

Yes i know bosch have a 3 year warranty on the tool and 2 years on the battery, metabo, makita, panasonic, hitachi and all the others will have some sort of guarantees also so whatever PRO tool you choose you will not go far wrong.

I bought that drill on offer from screwfix.

Firstly, the half price thing is a bit missleading as the ones you normally see include 2 batteries where as this only has one. The batteries are £150 each!

Secondly, the battery failed after a month. Screwfix said I had to deal with Dewalt directly to get it sorted. I had to package the whole drill up and wait in all day for a courier to pick it up. Then a week later wait in all day for them to drop it back off again. Luckily I have a second drill but if I hadn't i'd have been F****d without one for a week!

Think again about that Dewalt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back