Time to upgrade drill

I passed a display or cordless tools recently that were marked as using standard Samsung rechargeable batteries.

I wonder if we are on the verge of an industry standard?

The idea that you have to throw tools away when the batteries go weak has always been ridiculous.

my home cordless phones take a standard AA batt.

I give my old cordless tools to my BiL who uses them on his boat, with plugs into the ELV circuit.

Personally I can't see it , I can't see every company agreeing to one voltage of battery , one size , one charger , and one connector

Every company will be saying my batteries are better than yours so ours should be the standard

And who would be responsible for new battery technology and how would they agree to implement it?

Sponsored Links
Personally I can't see it , I can't see every company agreeing to one voltage of battery , one size , one charger , and one connector

one connector type would be enough.

car manufacturers settled on the steering wheel long ago.

Cameras have a standard tripod screw.

Bosch are attempting it, this was uploaded yesterday...

I passed a display or cordless tools recently that were marked as using standard Samsung rechargeable batteries.

I wonder if we are on the verge of an industry standard?-
No chance! Batteries are still the wild west and so long as manufacturers ccantie you in to their proprietary system they will do so. Even Stanley, deWalt, Black & Decker and Bostitch use mutually exclusive battery mountings, despite all four companies being elements of the Stanley-B&D empire. That even applies to badge engineered products such as the Bostitch and DW cordlless nailers which are almost identical (apart from colour.... and battery mounting systems). The only people ro do anything sensible so far is the German Star Alliance whuch pre-dates Bosch by quite a while (and includes Metabo, Starmix, Mafell, etc) but that's really a group.of smaller firms banding together in the hope of gaining mutual protection from the big boys.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back