The batteries last a few minutes at best

So
Time to upgrade to Dewalt li ion
General DIY use
Would it be better to get a deal with 2 x 4 amp batteries or 2 Amp
Been looking for a deal at Scre@@fix

Any recommendations

Sponsored Links
You can still get replacement batteries for your drill and I believe you can get a converter so you can use li-ion batteries too

4ah batteries will last twice as long as 2ah batteries with very little weight difference , Screwfix can be expensive for drills have you looked at the online places like powertoolworld?

It depends if you plan to put up one shelf every six months, or will be extending and refurbing the kitchen.

I have 2 batteries with my drill, a 4ah and a 2ah.
I prefer the 2ah for weight, but the 4ah keeps going for a long time.

Sponsored Links
I thought this looked a good idea for my old DeWalt drill. The drill works fine after a number of years, but the batteries (2) no longer hold their charge. I bought two replacements cheaply - apparently Chinese imports - but they work surprisingly well.
However, I thought in the longer term, assuming the drill still works well, I might get one of these converters plus, of course, Lion batteries and charger, but I see there are some adverse reviews on the site.
Have you any personal experience of these converters, please?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I thought this looked a good idea for my old DeWalt drill. The drill works fine after a number of years, but the batteries (2) no longer hold their charge. I bought two replacements cheaply - apparently Chinese imports - but they work surprisingly well.
However, I thought in the longer term, assuming the drill still works well, I might get one of these converters plus, of course, Lion batteries and charger, but I see there are some adverse reviews on the site.
Have you any personal experience of these converters, please?

No I have never used them , what do the adverse reviews say about them , it's just a connector to allow you to change battery types after all......

Personally I say give them a go , if nothing else when you do decide to upgrade your drill , you already have the batteries

I use Makita battery copies in my drills both 10.8v and 18v and they work fine , I have never had an issue with them , the 10.8v ones in particular are good because they do a 3ah one as a copy instead of the pathetic 1.3ah you get out of the original battery which means it lasts five mins and you destroy it by constantly charging it

I'm talking about the old type Makita stick 1.3ah battery and I refuse to buy the new slide drills when there is nothing wrong with the ones I'm using now and won't replace them until they break

No I have never used them , what do the adverse reviews say about them , it's just a connector to allow you to change battery types after all......

Personally I say give them a go , if nothing else when you do decide to upgrade your drill , you already have the batteries

I use Makita battery copies in my drills both 10.8v and 18v and they work fine , I have never had an issue with them , the 10.8v ones in particular are good because they do a 3ah one as a copy instead of the pathetic 1.3ah you get out of the original battery which means it lasts five mins and you destroy it by constantly charging it

I'm talking about the old type Makita stick 1.3ah battery and I refuse to buy the new slide drills when there is nothing wrong with the ones I'm using now and won't replace them until they break
Thanks.
Most of the reviews are positive, but a few mainly criticise the structural integrity. One owner said he dropped it and it split in two revealing substandard wiring and connections; another mentioned connecting spades coming loose and falling out; yet another suggested buying a 'genuine' article from the manufacturer, but didn't provide a link.
I might have a look round for the 'genuine' article, if such a thing exists.

The third party ni-mh batteries for my dewalt drill have all become pretty rubbish within months tbh. I've just replaced with new dewalt li-ion. Got an adpater for my old drill to keep it going, works okay but it look strange.

Much prefer 2ah on drill and impact.

Don't think there is a genuine article , DeWalt just want you to buy a new drill!
Hahaha! No big surprise there then.
I'll stick with what I've got for now.
The cheapo batteries only cost about £15 each, if I remember, and are still doing well.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Don't forget you will also need a new charger which is surprisingly expensive by itself.

I looked at using buying one of these adaptors to use with my XRP drill and impact. In the end it was just as cheap to buy a new kit - and I got a new case and tool bodies to go with it.

As asked above, if you aren't using the drill all day every day, then it's probably better value to get one of these kits for about £50:
https://www.aldi.co.uk/18v-li-ion-combi-drill/p/013616269334000
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-18V...VZGHmCh2rugpmEAQYASABEgIA5PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

In the end I decided to buy Makita because I can use the same batteries in a whole range of tools (I have drill, impact, multi tool, planer, lawnmower, strimmer) so if you want a wide range of cordless tool then look at something like these maybe?
https://www.toolstation.com/hitachi-dv18dbfl2-18v-li-ion-cordless-brushless-combi-drill/p47356
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...i-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/268fx

I passed a display or cordless tools recently that were marked as using standard Samsung rechargeable batteries.

I wonder if we are on the verge of an industry standard?

The idea that you have to throw tools away when the batteries go weak has always been ridiculous.

my home cordless phones take a standard AA batt.

I give my old cordless tools to my BiL who uses them on his boat, with plugs into the ELV circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back