makita nicad vs Li-Ion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a 18 v makita with ni- cad batteries today at b nq . Now sice I got in on internet I have seen a makita with Li-Ion batteries for £109. I do not know much about batteries but is it worth taking mine back and getting the one with the Li-Ion batteries ?

Sponsored Links
Li-Ion batteries are the next generation meant to last 3 or 4 times as long.

Sponsored Links
Thought there was something wrong ha. just another quick question. I have a 24v drill it is only a silverline but it is not old and hardly used but the charger broke. Could I use the makita chrger to charge the silverline batteries or is this a no go ?

Probably not.

The charger will be designed to charge 18V batteries and thats it. It is unlikely that anything apart from an 18v makita battery will fit the charger anyway.

Thought there was something wrong ha. just another quick question. I have a 24v drill it is only a silverline but it is not old and hardly used but the charger broke. Could I use the makita chrger to charge the silverline batteries or is this a no go ?

there is a nil chance it will charge another make never mind voltage
manufacturers make new models incompatable with old to make you buy the new complete except ryobi and dewalt although dewalt now have 2 18v types running side by side

if you want a good diy setup go for ryobi
http://uk.ryobitools.eu/one-plus-the-world-s-most-flexible-cordless-tool-system.htm

Li-ion will charge much faster, stores more charge so lasts longer between charge, and does not suffer memory effect.

I think you may be wrong on that. been sorting out my shed today and was messing around with my old makitas the ones with the bigger red batteries, the batteries are shot so no use. I decided to mess about with my batteries off my cheap drill and to my surprise I have a tooltec 18v drill and the batteries is exactly the same shape as the old makita batterie, I tried it in the makita and it works :)

I think you may be wrong on that. been sorting out my shed today and was messing around with my old makitas the ones with the bigger red batteries, the batteries are shot so no use. I decided to mess about with my batteries off my cheap drill and to my surprise I have a tooltec 18v drill and the batteries is exactly the same shape as the old makita batterie, I tried it in the makita and it works :)

i recon if you have 50 random tools from 50 people you will have around a 50/50% chance off a match
cut that back to 25 you will be on 10% chance off a match by the time you are on a random 2 tools your on a few hundred to one chance off it being compatable ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back