makita reciprocating saw clamp failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my brothers recip saw keeps ejecting blades
now you turn the collar to release the blade that spring out
i assume in reverse a bit like my bosch jigsaw when you push the blade in the collar should rotate and clamp the blade under spring pressure ???
now it doesnt but will rotate to a lock position manually but within two or three strokes idling will eject the blade
the collar has been well lubricated and mover freely any ideas or pointers ??
thanks

Sponsored Links
Dry (bees wax/graphite) or Wet (oil/grease) lubricant? If it's wet lubricant then you probably have dust or fillings in the wet lube which has acted as an abrasive which caused premature wear. Or jams the action of the retaining pin.
Probably only solution is get the blade holder replaced.

everything is nice and free---- but too free as in nothing seems to hold it in the locked position it goes to around the 9 0clock position i thought it should click or have a spring ???
its more should it turn further or have a spring really needing someone with a mak to have a look
but thanks anyway :giggle: (y)

If the tool is like mine then the blade retaining collar should turn about a quarter turn and spring back. If the collar has been lubricated with Oil the dust/swarfe caused by the cutting materials is likely to be jamming the action as it is held by and carried into the collar mechanism. Metal swarf in oil will act as an abrasive.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
ok thanks
is yours a mak iff so does it have spring resistance to hold the ring tight or just sit there ???
any one have a mak or have other ideas please shout and add ideas (y)

I have a Mak cordless. It's a sprung clamp, and from time to time it goes sticky then starts ejecting blades, at which point I flush it out with Plus Gas or WD40 then give it some lock lubricant. I just assumed it was the result of a build up of rubbish (saw dust) in the chuck. As it happens my old Bosch corded and Milwaukee corded were both the same

thanks j&k will try wire and see if there is impacted crud as its free moving smooth action so could just be crud in the way

Well B-A, the chuck is right where it will get pelted with saw dust. If you have a compressor you might want ro try blasting the chuck out with some air

thanks after trying anything that fitted in the slot i decided to remove the shoe to release the rubber shroud this revealed a triple coil spring with a hooked end that needs to find a hole
anyway pushed the spring about 5mm against spring pressure and sideways towards the vacant hole now i spent perhaps a min and gave up trying as i expected something positive no mater how small to suggest it had located not realizing it was home and functioning
any way it sits against spring pressure to hold it locked

in case my post is not clear the recip is now functioning fully normal now
thanks for your help much appreciated :giggle: :giggle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back