Makita twin pack, Brushed or Brushless?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some knowledgable advise please.

I’m looking to buy a new drill set and have decided on Makita. The brushed set is more expensive than the brushless probably because of the batteries but it also states a greater Nm force than the brushless.

What’s a better set in terms of power?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 45038050-A1BA-4596-9DF4-A15CFF1EDD39.png
    45038050-A1BA-4596-9DF4-A15CFF1EDD39.png
    197.9 KB · Views: 217
  • 16BA9A8E-E577-4912-8A28-D4ACB39DEC40.png
    16BA9A8E-E577-4912-8A28-D4ACB39DEC40.png
    246.7 KB · Views: 257
Sponsored Links
Brushless is best but the two brushless you've posted aren't comparable to the brushed kit in terms of power. These brushless are marketed as subcompact tools.

I have the brushless drill from that kit and while it's brilliant it's not a heavy duty all rounder. I wouldn't use it if I were using large forstner bits or drilling steelwork all day.

A comparable brushless kit would be the DLX2176TJ, at around the £400-450 price a lot more expensive but will out perform those brushed all day long.

I have the brushless kit (only with the DTD129, the older model driver) and I have had the drill from the brushed kit side by side. The bursbed managed a week before it was on eBay. Just doesn't compare to the DHP481 at all.

Now deciding which you need is entirely down to what you're doing. DIYer, brushed will be fine, in a trade and using it all day every day? Brushless.

I actually have three brushless drills that come to work with me, the one from the kkt you posted, the one from the kit I posted and the 10.8v drill Makita do.

Attachments

• dsc_9758.jpg
    dsc_9758.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 234
Last edited by a moderator:
Brushless is best but the two brushless you've posted aren't comparable to the brushed kit in terms of power. These brushless are marketed as subcompact tools.

I have the brushless drill from that kit and while it's brilliant it's not a heavy duty all rounder. I wouldn't use it if I were using large forstner bits or drilling steelwork all day.

A comparable brushless kit would be the DLX2176TJ, at around the £400-450 price a lot more expensive but will out perform those brushed all day long.

I have the brushless kit (only with the DTD129, the older model driver) and I have had the drill from the brushed kit side by side. The bursbed managed a week before it was on eBay. Just doesn't compare to the DHP481 at all.

Now deciding which you need is entirely down to what you're doing. DIYer, brushed will be fine, in a trade and using it all day every day? Brushless.

I actually have three brushless drills that come to work with me, the one from the kkt you posted, the one from the kit I posted and the 10.8v drill Makita do.

Thanks for the reply Sammy. I’d ony ever use them for DIY and know there’s a better brushless kit on the market. I suppose I’m mainly going by price and the main think that’s got me thinking is do I forfeit the brushless to have more power in the brushed?

Again I'd probably still go with the brushless but as a DIYer the Brushed option will give you a greater scope of work as those are beefier and have larger batteries.

So yeah, in your case probably the brushed kit would be better suited.

Sponsored Links
Seams brushless is obviously better maybe I should just go all out and get this kit?

I’m quite keen on having more torque on the tools, ideally want to get a really good set that will basically last me DIYing for many years to come!

Attachments

• 5B8C1AD7-4B79-4C91-A968-EFF498A4D667.png
    5B8C1AD7-4B79-4C91-A968-EFF498A4D667.png
    217.9 KB · Views: 224
I'd definitely go brushless if the budget is there but word of advice, shop around. Screwfix normally has a very high price compared to others.

FFX are usually quite reasonable.

For a DIYer, you really are going all out on spending!! There's plenty of tradespeople who wouldn't spend that much!

You really don't need the larger capacity batteries for DIY use, buying a set with, say, 2 * 2.0Ah batteries and buying a third 2.0Ah battery separately to go with it would be a much better idea IMHO. The tools will then be lighter, so more comfortable to use and you've always got the third battery on charge ready for when one goes flat. Charging the flat one and trying to use both drills by swapping a single battery between them becomes very annoying, very quickly!! :mad::LOL:

Are you dead set on Makita?

edit: Here we go, a set with 3 batteries already, not brushless, but all the torque you'll ever need for both the combi (62Nm) and impact (165Nm) and cheaper than two of the sets you have picked out...

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/ma...mbi-dtd152-impact-driver-inc-3x-3ah-batteries

For a DIYer, you really are going all out on spending!! There's plenty of tradespeople who wouldn't spend that much!

You really don't need the larger capacity batteries for DIY use, buying a set with, say, 2 * 2.0Ah batteries and buying a third 2.0Ah battery separately to go with it would be a much better idea IMHO. The tools will then be lighter, so more comfortable to use and you've always got the third battery on charge ready for when one goes flat. Charging the flat one and trying to use both drills by swapping a single battery between them becomes very annoying, very quickly!! :mad::LOL:

edit: Here we go, a set with 3 batteries already, not brushless, but all the torque you'll ever need for both the combi (62Nm) and impact (165Nm) and cheaper than two of the sets you have picked out...

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/ma...mbi-dtd152-impact-driver-inc-3x-3ah-batteries

It's strange (presuming OP is set on Makita), the cost of 2ah batteries is unreal. On average £5 cheaper than a 4ah.

As for the problem of having batteries go flat and swapping, I solved that problem by buying 15. :mrgreen:

I have a Snap-on brushed 14v Impact gun that's been used daily for over 8 years and still works as good as new.

I have a Dewalt Combi drill Lithium Ion 18v brushed that's taken plenty of stick and still going strong.

The only things I have ever replaced carbon brushes on are my washing machine (used every day) and motocycle starter motors..

to be fair removing the brushes reduces drag also because you now have a neodinium magnet in the middle giving higher magnetic "push" you can pump in far more power into the coil so a "brushless " is more efficient and the energy you can put in is around twice as much so an old 18v would be 450-500w max now your around the 900w level

Last edited:
I have a Snap-on brushed 14v Impact gun that's been used daily for over 8 years and still works as good as new.

I have a Dewalt Combi drill Lithium Ion 18v brushed that's taken plenty of stick and still going strong.

The only things I have ever replaced carbon brushes on are my washing machine (used every day) and motocycle starter motors..

I've replaced plenty of brushes in tools, drills, drivers, saws etc. o_O

Cheers for the reply. The key thing I really want is good torque especially on the impact as I hope to use that on an old project car so want a bit of beef behind it. Then I think I may aswell go brushless then it all spirals out of control and I’m looking at spending £350

i dont think the impact will be much use on a car as its 6mm drive and quite soft on impact
you need a heavy 1/2" drive
i could off course be miles out but breaking the bond on metals is several levels above screws or fixings in wood

Good for you ;).

Yeah, implying that it is an uncommon thing to do is dependant on other factors is what I was trying to point out.

Used daily all day or used daily for a minute here or there? The argument/point is moot as it doesn't account for the time of use or what it's used for.

Good for you he says while glossing over the fact that I've mentioned I'd rather go brushless and this is one very reason why.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back