Makita twin pack, Brushed or Brushless?

Cheers for the reply. The key thing I really want is good torque especially on the impact as I hope to use that on an old project car so want a bit of beef behind it. Then I think I may aswell go brushless then it all spirals out of control and I’m looking at spending £350

I use the Snap-on 18v impact gun for car stuff, as said above 1/2 inch drive and built for the job (300+ftlb?).

I also have a Snap-on 3/8ths 14.4v that is used for motocycle duties and powerful enough for that.

Car wise a cheap /sh compressor with good sized receiver and a 1/2 inch air impact gun will be cheaper than a decent 1/2 battery gun.

Food for thought?.

Sponsored Links
I use the Snap-on 18v impact gun for car stuff, as said above 1/2 inch drive and built for the job (300+ftlb?).

I also have a Snap-on 3/8ths 14.4v that is used for motocycle duties and powerful enough for that.

Car wise a cheap /sh compressor with good sized receiver and a 1/2 inch air impact gun will be cheaper than a decent 1/2 battery gun.

Food for thought?.

So I was thinking of getting a 1/2 inch adaptor in the makita but sounds like that’s not the best idea? If so that throws it all in the air!

So I’m thinking to get the £250 Brushless kit with 2 3ah batteries and a separate 1/2 inch impact gun for car use. Sounds like a good idea?

Cheers for all the advise everyone. The wife’s just no good when speaking to her about this kinda stuff! :D

You can try the brushless first on the car but doubt you'll get much moved with it, worth a go though!.

If you have a plan B for 1/2 car duties with a proper gun then you've covered all bases.

The key thing I really want is good torque especially on the impact as I hope to use that on an old project car so want a bit of beef behind it.
1/4in hex driver impact drivers are really a bit wimpy for the sort of stuff you are looking to do TBH. A purpose-made 1/2in square drive impact wrench (e.g Makita DTW285) is a far better bet - but it won't do screws all that well. What you may also find is that a 1/2in square drive adaptor in a 1/4in hex drive impact driver will eventually wind-up and snap like a carrot leaving a nearly impossible to remove "stub" lodged almost permanently in the chuck of the driver. I know that because it happened to me part way through driving many hundreds of bolts we were using on a refurb (for resin anchors, joist bolts, etc) and it took me 3 evenings of fiddling to get the damned thing out of the chuck! After that I bought a DTW451

Sponsored Links
That's the thing, atleast you can replace brushes. With a brushless tool, if it packs in you might have to chuck it!

As true as the statement is, it's an uncommon failure. I base my opinion on using brushless tools and brushed tools along with a tradesperson perspective. The gain outweighs the cost greatly.

As true as the statement is, it's an uncommon failure. I base my opinion on using brushless tools and brushed tools along with a tradesperson perspective. The gain outweighs the cost greatly.
TBH over more than 40 years of power tool use (in truth nearly 50) I've had only a couple of motors fail because the armatures burned out - and it was abuse that caused the issues. I don't see that there would be any difference with brushless motors. I've replaced plenty of brushes over the years, though, and far from being more reliable I'd say that they were just one more thing to go wrong, often appearing to be OK on inspection, yet when replacements were installed the tool sprang back into life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back