Man vs nature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I am struggling to keep my garden net and tidy. It measure the size of four Focuses.
The grass grows rapidly to waist high length and the flower plants grow to the same length as well.

I do not have time to go and mow the lawn every week. I do not subscribe to a green bin and this adds the extra hassle of bagging up the grass and then taking it to the council yard.

I could pay a ladscaper and do a propa job and have a nice Hanging gardens of Babylon garden but I am cash strapped and would like to do a DIY job instead. I am also not a big bloke and do not want to do a lot of labour intensive carrying and hammering.

Can I mow the lawn and then place some slabs above without doing anything else? I do not mind if it turns into the stepping stone round from Takeshis's castle. I just use my garden to dry clothes in the sun.

Sponsored Links
Have you considered buying or hiring a sheep/goat?

Sponsored Links
Well I guess the very cheapest thing would be to get some free paving slabs off Marketplace and just lay them on the grass then. As you say it might be a bit bumpy but if that's ok fill yer boots.

Attachments

• 47454256_1.jpg
    47454256_1.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 73
I have decided to buy weed control fabric, apply it on both sides and then have pebble on top. The middle bit will be comprised of 50 slabs.

Should I go for pebbles or shale or something else?

I do not have time to go and mow the lawn every week. I do not subscribe to a green bin and this adds the extra hassle of bagging up the grass and then taking it to the council yard.

You could do what I do - just cut it and let the clippings remain on the grass, until they rot back in, mulch. I'm no gardener, I have a very much larger garden to mow, which needs a tractor mower to get round in a reasonable amount of time. It is able to collect around an 1/2m cube of compacted mowed grass, before it needs to be emptied, even so that would involve several emptying trips. Instead I don't bother with collecting, I just let it blow the cuttings out the back.

I average maybe one cut per week, but often need to cut it twice in a week, because I can only cut it when it's good a dry.

I do have an included cost bin, collected fortnightly, but that only gets utilised maybe two or three times a year, when I fill it with hedge cuttings.

Quick question.
How do you remove weed coming out of brick patio other than pulling it out?

Flame thrower - followed by a treatment with Roundup. Or maybe just the Roundup?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back