Garden slating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

In my garden, the grass grows tall in a very short span of time. After months of lawn-mowing and hedge trimming unwanted flower plants, I decided to put heavy duty weed control fabrice on top and then hammered it down with some steel ground pegs.
In one section , I put slate chippings on top and there has been no weed or flower growth.
In another section, I put slab ( without sand underneath )and grass has been growing from the edges of the slabs or from in between.

Should I put slate and then put slabson top, seeing how slate seems to have some anti-weed magical properties?

Sponsored Links
Did you not put any weed control under the slabs? This is what hinders things growing through.
My daughter put slate chippings down without weed control and it was a waste of time.
Plants/weeds grow through the soil, searching for light, and they will find the smallest chink through slate, shingle, pebbles and even sand.
Remember, seeds are often blown on the wind and can start to grow if the land on the smallest bit of soil/dirt between flagstones/blockwork.

Did you not put any weed control under the slabs? This is what hinders things growing through.
My daughter put slate chippings down without weed control and it was a waste of time.
Plants/weeds grow through the soil, searching for light, and they will find the smallest chink through slate, shingle, pebbles and even sand.
Remember, seeds are often blown on the wind and can start to grow if the land on the smallest bit of soil/dirt between flagstones/blockwork.

I did put weed control fabric and then slabs on top but grass seems to find a way to grow through the cracks in between. Maybe I need a base of sand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back