Preventing weed regrowth between concrete paving.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bought a new house a little over a year ago and it has an area paved with concrete slabs which are laid loose on a sand bed with no jointing material between the slabs. There was extensive weed and unwanted grass growth between the slabs.

I sprayed it with roundup and cleared most of the dead foliage but didn't have time to do anything else. Some weeds and grass have grown back between the slabs most of which I have cleared with a weed rake.

I would like to put in the weed resistant sand which you just brush into the joints (the loose type, not the type that sets hard) but I believe that there are probably quite a lot of dormant weed and grass roots remaining which will probably just push through the weed resistant sand. So I am wondering what the best way to tackle this is. I was thinking either:

1. Put in the weed resistant sand and then treat anything that pushes through with round-up, pull up the dead weeds and then put in more sand where they came through if necessary.

2. Put down a residual weedkiller such as pathclear hoping this will kill the roots (even though there is no foliage) and then put the sand in after.

3. Just wait for the weeds to grow, put round-up on the new foliage, pull them out and then put the sand in.

Which would be the best choice or is there a better way?

Sponsored Links
I would go for 3.

Dansand and the like are a great idea and easy to market but dont work well at all in my experience.

Ideally you want to remove as much detritus and dead material out as this is what the next batch of weeds take root in and feed on.

There are no real effective residual weedkillers allowed for use on block paving anymore.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back