MEMBRANE FOR BORDER IN GARDEN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a narrow border (about 400mm) round the front garden which is paved. my idea is to take the weeds out, dig down about 100mm, put about 50mm of mot sub base in, then top of with slate chippings, would this be alright, or should i put a weed membrane in, only i heard the membrane isn't much good, there is no traffic over the border, but I want to do the job right, should I put weedkiller down before i start.

Sponsored Links
I dont know one weed from another, I am not a gardener, but because I am digging down, the weeds will go, its only a narrow strip. The weeds are very easy to pull up.

Sponsored Links
"Easy to pull up" weeds are probably annual weeds i.e. they come from seeds blown in each year. Just pull them up, or hoe them. If you get lots then you probably have a neighbour with an abandoned garden that is distributing seeds everywhere. A membrane is not going to help; they are for perenial weeds (e.g. nettles) that come up from their roots.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back