garden aggregates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, 2 years ago i laid a path around my garden shed and veg patch using some sort of "golden" gravel (all sorts of golds yellows browns and whites) i bought the weed membrane from wicks as it was on offer and laid as the packet said so which was to- lay a layer of sand then put down the membrane then put down more sand then put the chippings on top. i did this but have always had the problem of quite a few weeds coming up through the path and a lot of sycamore trees as a tree nearly overhangs the area, would i have been better off not putting the sand on top as i think this is what is giving the weeds something to grow in? the reason i ask is because im about to lay borders around the garden with probably purple slate chippings and don't want the hassle of weeding it! If the sand is the problem am i better off trying to get the sand up which wont be an easy task as im sure i put about 5 ton of gravel on it altogether but if it helps im sure i could eventually get round to it

Also was wondering about the original path, since laying it it has turned a bit green and dirty, i obviously cant pressure wash it so was thinking of either using some diluted hypochlorite and keeping the kids and dog away for a while or maybe a patio cleaner either way leave it on for a few hours then rinse off, any ideas?

any thoughts/plans greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Any seeds falling on the gravel will germinate if there is sufficient moisture etc. They won't grow strongly but enough to annoy.
A seasonal dose of weedkiller will kill any weeds and prevent others growing for about 6 months or so.

You could rake the gravel to disturb any weeds, also.
Raking might improve the appearance and reduce moss/algae growth.

A dose of diluted bleach will help and also kill any weeds, but as you suggest, prevent the dogs/kids from going on it for a while, possibly for a couple of days or rain showers. Take care not to allow it to leach into any borders, though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back