Mandatory decking slope?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've laid my decking horizontal.
I know a slope is recommended but it was easier to lay like that.
Turns out the surface tension on water sitting on oiled decking is a lot plus some of the joists appear to be a bit bowed so there are low spots in the decking.
I can even out the low spots - although it will be a tedious job that I haven't really got the time to do.

What's the collective view on sloping the deck? There's enough adjustment in most of the feet to lift it up a bit towards the wall. It does mean taking a lot of boards off and (probably plane) some off the facia board by the patio. Ultimately though it's bolted solid to the garage wall. I used bits of cut up chopping board as a spacer and they are the full height of the joist and about 3cm wide.

Moving the whole thing away from the wall to fit wedges of chopping board rather than flat bits doesn't bare thinking about.

Sponsored Links
I've never heard of sloping decking - patio, yes:unsure:

All the regulars will be along soon to lecture you on having a slope but I've never bothered and it's never been an issue. And who wants to stare at their G&T glass when it's on the pee?

The very small angle you would be able to create wont overcome the surface tension of water, I cant see what you would gain.

Sponsored Links
Why not try a bit of oiled decking and see if the water runs off any quicker with a small slope of say 1 in 50

The very small angle you would be able to create wont overcome the surface tension of water, I cant see what you would gain.

Aye, the structure's shape is fixed that's for sure. I'm sure I could force a few mm's play at the wall bolts which is going to translate to about 2 or maybe 3cm at the other side of the deck 3.6 metres away.

I would be wary of sloping the decking *towards* the wall, just in case this encourages damp (in a perfect world, this wouldn't be an issue, but it would be my concern...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back