Manhole slightly larger than cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to replace 2 manhole covers in my back garden as the existing ones were rusting away (including the frames). Unfortunately I only measured one, because after replacing the first with no problem I discovered the second was slightly bigger, in fact about 10mm bigger all round than the 600x450mm frame and cover I bought. This means that the frame overhangs the edge of the brickwork which, although the manholes are in the corner of the garden and not regularly trodden on, doesn't seem safe to me. Anyone got any idea how to shrink the manhole slightly, short of rebuilding it? I'm hoping some sort of liner could be bought or constructed maybe?

Sponsored Links
Use a concrete lintel to close the gap, if need be take the top course of brickwork off one side, then lay the lintel in place to reduce the size of the opening.

Ok. Same problem. Can i use a series of lintels. Will need to drive over them on driveway

Sponsored Links
Just to let you know, mine was only for foot traffic but it worked fine having done what was suggested (take top row of bricks off then add made to measure lintel). I can't advise on the suitability for a driveway though, don't know enough about load bearing qualities of concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back