Replacing manhole cover-correct sizing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I need a bit of advice on what I need to do to replace the badly corroded manhole cover in the garden of a property I've recently moved into.

Attached are a couple of pics of the manhole opening and the remains of the old cover.

I've had a look at a few replacement covers online and I'm not sure how the frame part is fitted to the aperture/hole.

The old one doesn't appear to have had a frame. It is just sitting on the edge of the aperture.

Can anyone offer some advice on the correct way that I need to fit the frame in order to secure it in position?

Thanks

View media item 88870 View media item 88871

Sponsored Links
The old cover seems to be of the then steel variety and has simply (although rather quickly looking at the age of that manhole), rotted away. Chop away any remaining of the old frame and the mortar that should have held it in situ.

You'll need to purchase a new cover and frame of the correct dimensions, bed the frame on fresh mortar, level it up across all planes, then gently haunch the mortar up to secure the frame and tidy the job up.

Carefully drop new cover in and make sure it doesn't rock in the frame. Backfill as required.

The old cover seems to be of the then steel variety and has simply (although rather quickly looking at the age of that manhole), rotted away. Chop away any remaining of the old frame and the mortar that should have held it in situ.

You'll need to purchase a new cover and frame of the correct dimensions, bed the frame on fresh mortar, level it up across all planes, then gently haunch the mortar up to secure the frame and tidy the job up.

Carefully drop new cover in and make sure it doesn't rock in the frame. Backfill as required.

Thanks for the info Hugh.

The property and the development on which it was built is around 25 years old so im guessing that's roughly the age of the manhole.

It should be a fairly easy job for me but can you explain one more thing....

Can you describe what it means to apply a 'Haunch' to the mortar?

Ive not heard this term before.

Sponsored Links
That's a fantastic site for anyone who's unsure, and the excellent diagrams and photo's explain very well. Hopefully you're sorted now, just bear in mind your cover looks to be a square size, may have to look to a Builders Merchants for correct size, the DIY sheds are unlikely to stock it. ;)

Okay so I just got round to measuring the manhole opening today.

I made it 570mm x580mm measured across the brick faces so it's not quite square but close enough!

In terms of correctly sizing the replacement will I have to go for the closest available frame size to 570mm square?

Ie 570x570 or 560x560 if I can find them

So far all I've seen is 560x560

Will check out a few local builders merchants and see what they have

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back