Marble sink Issue-your views?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just installed an expensive end of line marble sink from a major high end marble and stone supplier.
Sink looks good, BUT, it doesn't drain properly.
It has a wide flat bottom that has no camber and therefore it won't fully empty and leaves a considerable amount of water.
I asked why it was end of line. They claimed too many arrived with damage from Turkey. My view is perhaps they were causing too many complaints and returns....
I haven't as yet complained and need to be certain that I have a sound basis.
My point is that sink should drain by definition once the plug is removed.
Any thoughts and observations really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Welcome to high end products which are in reality not all that good.

Why not do what the airlines say in their planes, wipe the bowl after you have finished.

Hi,
I have just installed an expensive end of line marble sink from a major high end marble and stone supplier.
Sink looks good, BUT, it doesn't drain properly.
It has a wide flat bottom that has no camber and therefore it won't fully empty and leaves a considerable amount of water.
I asked why it was end of line. They claimed too many arrived with damage from Turkey. My view is perhaps they were causing too many complaints and returns....
I haven't as yet complained and need to be certain that I have a sound basis.
My point is that sink should drain by definition once the plug is removed.
Any thoughts and observations really appreciated.

Regardless of what you paid, I would expect the sink to drain correctly
However, if you have not installed the product correctly, then liability rests on your shoulders
Is your worktop level? can you check and confirm?

Sponsored Links
Regardless of what you paid, I would expect the sink to drain correctly
However, if you have not installed the product correctly, then liability rests on your shoulders
Is your worktop level? can you check and confirm?

Yes I have installed it properly-which was a major task as it is suspended on metal rods, sunk into inner and outer walls-worked with technical at Rawplug to obtain best solution. The sink is flat and drains in the centre-unlike a Belfast sink which drains in the corner and has a built in camber. Please see images.

Can you not introduce a shim between wall and basin to jack up the front of the basin a mm or two?
You would expect a top end fixture to have the rim and bed to be in total alignment if bed is to be flat (nil slope to waste outlet). Having said that, a flat bed on a basin will tend to have standing residual water across the entire bed as water finds its own level. My understanding so do not shoot the messenger

Flat bed will not drain is my belief. How can it? Shower trays etc have slight degree of fall and are designed to drain. Dy definition (sort of) a sink should drain. You don't expect to have to mop up after use!
Also noticed cuts had been made underneath as if it had been perhaps fixed and returned. I had to grind out more to fit my rods which extended further.
I'll return to the outlet and see what staff have to say.
Thing is we designed the bathroom around the sink itself, as main feature.
Drove to Wales to collect it from Bath!
Trouble is we like the look of it, though not the weakness of design and hassle...

Some suggestions:

1. Make sure the top of the basin truly level, side to side at front and back, back to front at each side.
2. Try and shim it, as suggested by DP, to see if that improves it.
3. Is the waste fitting slightly higher than the inside base of the basin. If so, the water will never drain. Try changing waste for a flush one, or grind out waste hole to allow it to go in deeper.
4. Consider getting a stone masons / marble workshop to grind in a fall front to back, blending in to the sides, then re-polish.

Thanks 'oldbuffer'.
1.Yes all level..flex of rods slightly forward but can easily correct and have supported it to text flow and no difference. If its flat it won't.
2. Shim it-not sure what you mean in this respect?
3. yes, agreed re waste BUT it should drain all except tiny bit round waste. The waste rubber was deep and dense-sealed well but with impact being slightly risen. Can swap with thinner washer which I have but can't see that it will rectify pooling effect.
4. Given what I have paid for it I shouldn't have to expect to take it down and go to a stone masons should I?! Hassle, expense. I have fitted quite a few sinks and never had a problem like this.

If you had fitted this for a client would you not question the seller?

Thanks

1. You could try removing washer, and making waste fitting in on a "sausage" of Plumber's Mait. Old fashioned but works well. (Clean off with white spirit)
2. I would question the seller. However, if there is no fall from back or front to drain hole, there is always likely to be residual water. Seller might suggest that
given the style of the basin, this is to be expected. I only fit known makes of basin supplied by one of two merchants who I trust to supply "fit for purpose"
sanitary ware, and who will change it if faulty.

don't use the washer for the waste and just use silicon to seal then the height is kept to the minimum , but use silicon that can be used for marble as some have some sort of acid in them that attacks marble.

1. You could try removing washer, and making waste fitting in on a "sausage" of Plumber's Mait. Old fashioned but works well. (Clean off with white spirit)
2. I would question the seller. However, if there is no fall from back or front to drain hole, there is always likely to be residual water. Seller might suggest that
given the style of the basin, this is to be expected. I only fit known makes of basin supplied by one of two merchants who I trust to supply "fit for purpose"
sanitary ware, and who will change it if faulty.
Thanks again. I think a seller like this one which i a very expensive and large one would care about the standard of their products and have consequently withdrawn these sinks. The question I am asking myself and others is a sink unfit for purpose, as you rightly say, if it doesn't adequately empty. Adjusting the height of the plug/waste will not drain out large pool of excess water-only small area around plug. That isn't really the issue.

don't use the washer for the waste and just use silicon to seal then the height is kept to the minimum , but use silicon that can be used for marble as some have some sort of acid in them that attacks marble.
Thanks. I know marble doesn't like acids etc. My feeling though is that the small amount round the plug isn't the concern. Its the larger pool that 'sits' in the sink that doesn't even get near to the waste hole. I may go to the shop tomorrow and ask a few questions....

if the water isn't exiting the basin its not doing what its suppose to do especially the price it should have been , but is that the reason why it was cheap ???
but they should have been upfront with the problem it had , suppose you will find out what customer service they really have:) .

what shop was it because I'm not far from there and had a few dealings with suppliers in that area ?

if the water isn't exiting the basin its not doing what its suppose to do especially the price it should have been , but is that the reason why it was cheap ???
but they should have been upfront with the problem it had , suppose you will find out what customer service they really have:) .

what shop was it because I'm not far from there and had a few dealings with suppliers in that area ?

It was approx £200 after price reduction. If its not fit for purpose then it shouldn't be sold really, irrespective of price.
I am reluctant to divulge the name of this large stone and marble outlet until I hear their side. (Libel etc)
Maybe I have made a mistake fitting it...but I really don't think so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back