Markings to wall under my boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I live in a four year old new build.

I noticed this morning whilst checking the pressure of my boiler that under the boiler, there are two pipes which go into the wall from the base of the boiler. There are now visible cracks in the pain to the side and above the two pipes as well as a strange mark in the shape of a circle in the general area.

I have touched the wall and it does not seem wet, I can find no leaks or dripping anywhere, all pipes are dry.

Is this anything to worry about?

Pipes.png

Sponsored Links
If they are heading outside, I'd check to see if the external pipe's are sealed to the wall, that may be moisture ingress.
Thank you, I will check that out. As far as I can see, there is only a boiler pressure overflow pipe outside, but I will check that out.

Is that a drip of water on the right hand pipe?
Well spotted, no, dried paint, I thought the same as you when I first investigated it, but dry as a bone.

Sponsored Links
Thank you, I will check that out. As far as I can see, there is only a boiler pressure overflow pipe outside, but I will check that out.

Well spotted, no, dried paint, I thought the same as you when I first investigated it, but dry as a bone.

Just an update, I did check the outside pipe where the pressure overflow part is and it all seems fine, no blockages. I believe the other pipe is the fresh water feed but it goes into the plasterboard wall so no way for me to check. There doesn't seem to be any moisture anywhere and no leaks under the floor under the kitchen units.

Just an update, I did check the outside pipe where the pressure overflow part is and it all seems fine, no blockages. I believe the other pipe is the fresh water feed but it goes into the plasterboard wall so no way for me to check. There doesn't seem to be any moisture anywhere and no leaks under the floor under the kitchen units.

It looks more like a condensate pipe from the boiler, but I am not a plumber...

The 15mm copper pipe is the pressure relief pipe, from the PRV inside the boiler.
The 21.5mm plastic pipe is the pipe which carries the condensate away from the boiler, normally routed to a drain, but not always.
The cracking in the plaster looks like shrinkage from a rather thick layer of finishing plaster, (to fill the hole),nothing to worry about.

The 15mm copper pipe is the pressure relief pipe, from the PRV inside the boiler.
The 21.5mm plastic pipe is the pipe which carries the condensate away from the boiler, normally routed to a drain, but not always.
The cracking in the plaster looks like shrinkage from a rather thick layer of finishing plaster, (to fill the hole),nothing to worry about.

Thank you and thanks for everyone in getting back to me. I took another look today but the plaster feels moist. I pushed my finger and it went into the plaster. It seems wetter around the plastic condensate pipe. Once it goes into this wall, I can’t see where the pipes come out. Boiler is serviced every year, so shouldn’t be any issues with that.
I had a lot of issues with the plastic condensate pipe in the loft which had not been installed correctly by builders from the MVHR. I am starting to wonder if maybe there is an issue with this condensate pipe also. I have had no issues at all, just recently noticed the change in wall colour and now the plaster is noticeably moist and crumbling away.
Should I just ignore it for now, or should I be worried?

40783-ADE-38-DC-400-B-BABB-8615-F9-E4633-F.jpg

96571354-5-FC6-4587-A558-2-B4-C157-C97-FE.jpg

F47-CFE10-6794-47-DD-86-F1-FF0276-C16-BE6.jpg

Dig it out and have a look, if the plaster is moist and crumbling then there is an issue somewhere.
What do you recommend I dig out with? A screwdriver or something similar?

I don't think my buildings insurance will cover this as it would be classed as a slow leak.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your help guys.:)

Update: I have cut around the pipes, I found that the right hand copper one seemed wetter in the plaster. As you can see below, the plaster is mainly dry, just a very small amount of moisture which I am guessing has accumulated over time. There was foam just under the plaster, so I think maybe when the house was built, they filled the gap with foam and then put a bit of plaster on top.

IMG-5168.jpg

Both pipes go into the wall and then go down towards the kitchen floor, they don't go up which is strange as based on the markings on the wall, you would expect maybe something was dripping from above in the pipework, but that is not the case.

As the pipes drop down, there is a piece of metal between the pipes and the plasterboard, maybe to protect them in case you were silly enough to drill into the wall below the pipes? I have removed as much plaster as I can before hitting the solid parts that would not cut away so easily.

It seems that the copper pipe is not pressure relief but actually the gas line into the boiler. That would rule that out of being leaky which would mean it must be the condensate one on the left.
I checked again this morning and everything is dry. I have stuffed the hole with kitchen roll and will leave it for a few days before pulling it back out to see if it is wet. So far, totally dry.

IMG-5166.jpg

IMG-5167.jpg

You may find then that it's condensation then and not a leak. The condensate water is warm and when it hits the cold cavity moisture condenses on the pipe.

You are correct, that is the gas pipe, the plate will probably be there to stop accidental damage as you suggest. FYI There are certain regulations that cover gas pipes in cavities/voids, hopefully the gas pipe has been boxed in correctly (size of void). Do you get your boiler serviced yearly?

You may find then that it's condensation then and not a leak. The condensate water is warm and when it hits the cold cavity moisture condenses on the pipe.

You are correct, that is the gas pipe, the plate will probably be there to stop accidental damage as you suggest. FYI There are certain regulations that cover gas pipes in cavities/voids, hopefully the gas pipe has been boxed in correctly (size of void). Do you get your boiler serviced yearly?

Thank you. I did wonder if it might just be condensation, but it is strange that the markings have only just shown as I have been living here since the house was built.
It isn't like the heating has been on now for a while so the boiler sees very little use as it is just me here.

I am going to keep an eye on it. As far as I can see, there is a void of some sort behind there so it looks like it has been done correctly.
I have the boiler serviced every year by the company who actually installed it when the house was being built. Can't remember when the last service was, but I might leave the hole as it is now until they next come (provided there isn't a leak or matters get worse) and get them to have a look.

Presumably, if there are no further issues, I can just fill with a small amount of expanding foam and put some plaster filler over to put it back to how it was?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back