Marks on marble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a marble fireplace and three marks have appeared on it, they are about 30mm diameter. Two are hardly noticeable, just a bit duller than the surrounding area, the third one is slightly darker. All three feel rough when you run your finger over them. Any idea what causes them and how I can remove them?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Did you put something acidic on the fireplace? A Christingle perhaps? Oranges and lemons will rot the marble (turn it into carbon dioxide and water) and the pigments will stain.

Did you put something acidic on the fireplace? A Christingle perhaps? Oranges and lemons will rot the marble (turn it into carbon dioxide and water) and the pigments will stain.

No, all we've put on it is candles. The dark stain has gone now after I cleaned it with soapy water, I tried polishing the marks with baking powder but it does't seem to have made much difference. I'm going to try a sealant on it next weekend.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
google knokdown tld 90, its a special grit polish suitable for any natural stone. its a bit expensive but i have used it to good effect on terrazzo, travetine, quartz etc, you can use an electric drill and buffing pad attachment, as i dont thnk you will have the proper stone polishing gear

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back