thinner than hairline cracks in tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I decided to use the en-suite shower and after getting out i noticed a few dark marks on the white tiles. I instantly assumed there must have been a crack and water had got in.

I had another look and there must be loads (atleast 1/3 of the shower tiles have them). I had a closer look at the tiles and they have thiner than hairline crack (not something that could have been caused by something hitting it etc as the shower is hardly used).

Its hard to picture as the flash or non flash does not reveal the dark marks, you get real close to see any marks on the tiles.

Should i look at replacing 1/3 of these tiles or is there something i can coat, paint or fill these thinner than hairline marks.

If you run your finger over them you cannot feel the mark at all and neither can you see anything deep but you can see a very faint crack.

Sponsored Links
If the tiles are cracked it won't be long before water gets in there & you'll be replacing them anyway.

Is this a new (to you) property? Has this only just happened?

You cannot fill cracks that small, probably cracks in the glaze and not the tile.?

Sponsored Links
Agree with foxhole that it's probably the glaze.

If this is the case then they will doubtless get worse in time but should remain waterproof for a while. Think of those old mugs we all have at the back of the cupboard; still hold a brew, just not very nice to look at!

99% be cracks in the glaze, what you have to stop and think about IS how long have the tiles been like this, if the glaze is broken water will ingress into the tile and then through into the wall behind,

Personally i would strip the tiles and have it re-tiled if you want tiles again, IF the area had been tanked you would have gotten away with just leaving the tiles on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back