Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Possibly a simple yes or no answer to this but I'd like to know before

* A - kicking up a fuss at the suppliers or
* B - going to the job and finding out the tiles don't fit

What am I on about?

Well I need a few Marley (Ludlow) Majors for a job on a customer's roof and having a day off today went several miles to SIG Roofing for them.

The guy printed off receipt/invoice showing Marley Major and told me to pick them up in yard.

The guy in the yard gave me Redland Renowns after asking what is it you want again and being shown the invoice. I didn't realise till I was unloading them.

Neither of them said 'btw these are actually Redlands but they are same as The Majors'

Sponsored Links
Great.

That's what I suspected so will be worth taking them back. It's not about the money (£3.95). More the hassle and general disinterest of the staff.

Every time I go there I get the feeling they think they are doing you a huge favour by serving you and go-to answer for anything unusual is 'no we don't do that, never heard of it'

Sponsored Links
Sig staff have attitude countrywide.

That's good to know as I thought it was just me.

There used to be a branch in East End of Glasgow and it was much better. There was a guy there who knew everything and was pleased to help. He'd look out obsolete stuf like obscure verge-caps in a few minutes.

Turned up one day and the place had been cleared completely

The staff in the Uddingston depot don't even get off their ar$e to serve you, the order is shouted across the office from the front desk.

The staff in the Uddingston depot don't even get off their ar$e to serve you, the order is shouted across the office from the front desk.

We must be talking about same depot - New Edinburgh Road

Anyway I got it sorted today....

At a job I was on this morning (Burnside) there just happened to be a new Marley Major in the garden.

I finished after 3 and quickly headed back to my garage (Cambuslang) to check the Marley against the Redlands.

As the pics show they aren't the same, despite looking identical.

Anyway by time I had done that it was getting near 3.45 and I feared SIG would be shutting gates at 4 so drove quickly over the Uddingston and was still open (gates said they close at 4.30)

In the office it was same guy who'd served me and he seemed genuinely sorry and surprised I'd been given wrong ones. Just asked me if I brought the Redlands back and told me to go round to yard and get them changed.

It was a different guy in the yard but he was friendly and new his stuff. Said 'aye it's the middle bits wider oan the Redlands'

G7Rwpsa.jpg

Redland overlapping Marley shows gap

400sqlI.jpg

Marley overlapping Redland looks ok from above

T7c7md1.jpg

but not from below

nvdY1U8.jpg

same same but different

2Y1Cqw3.jpg

Marley interlocking bit is bigger

iTDJZqz.jpg

Redland sticks out more when interlocking edges on other side lined up

hpmIow1.jpg

ribs also differ in size

Lol the yard guys in Uddingston are a friendly bunch, so are the sales guys as long as you support the same football team as them. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back