Martin Lewis -moneysaving expert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is Martin Lewis the “Money Saving Expert” a significant proportion of the public believe him to be, or is he simple a “Money Grabbing Show-Off” many other suspect he is? side of the fence do you fall on?
So how much should the public trust Martin Lewis’ guidance?

I read somewhere that his earnings are over 100 million quid but he has been very "clever" in disguising his earnings.

How much he has made from the credit crunch remains a mystery and his recent decision to hide his earnings by changing his company’s status from limited to unlimited is a controversial one. As a consumer champion, he has been dedicated to exposing other companies’ profits. Imho, yet another hypocrite screwing the British public.

Sponsored Links
I don't understand your point.

He saves people money and offers free, and in my experience, accurate financial advice. His website often flags up bargains/offers that people wouldn't be aware of otherwise. Again, this service is free.

If he has made money from TV appearances and adverts on his site, why should we berate him?

Sounds like a diamond geezer to me.

If he is making money from supplying information why should you care. He makes it plain on his site where he makes money. His monthly newsletter pulls together a huge amount of information and provides the most accurate comparisions on the web.

I use the info he provides regularly. I trust his site far more than any bank site that are generally inaccurate and disingenuous.

Fair play to the guy I say.

Didn't he advise people to quickly grab last chance fixed rates just before the interest rates dropped dramatically leaving loads of people now paying over the odds and having paid overblown fees for the privilege?

I learnt my lesson from fixed rate plans years ago and avoid them like the plague.

Sponsored Links
He's very clear about the risks and pitfalls of various options I think. Fair play to the guy, he is very open and honest and I'm sure the banks must hate his guts. :LOL:

Why can't he be both? What difference does it make to 'what he does'?

I trust his site far more than any bank site that are generally inaccurate and disingenuous.

Fair play to the guy I say.

I don't think that those who fell for his advice to use icelandic accounts would agree with you...

I don't think that those who fell for his advice to use icelandic accounts would agree with you...

Are you suggesting that he profited from that? And how do you know he wasn't personally affected by the collapse?

I can't stand the feeling of resentment in this country to anyone who is doing well. Good luck to the guy!

A few years ago when interest rates started dropping and endownments were suffering all the financial papers and institutions were telling us to 'hang in there, things will change'.
Martyn Lewis was derided for telling people to sell their policies and get out now, change to a repayment mortgage. We took no notice, now I am going to be about £6,000short.
With any advice, wether it be financial, health, work related whatever there is always a risk. The final decision is yours and yours alone unless an adviser tells you that you MUST do something, then it is no longer advice and he/she/they must bear some of the responsibility. Part of the reason they should have liability insurance to cover them against claims for mal-practise.
And like anyone running a business he is in it to make money and earn a good living. So long as he is not scamming people he is doing nothing wrong.

Just as it is your business what you earn and it is my business what I earn, so it is his business what he earns. He does a job and he does it well. You only have to follow his 'Ones not to miss' to realise how valuable to the ordinary punter his site is. And if the banks hate him for showing people how to claw back unfair charges, then good on him. Millions use and swear by his site so I go with them, not you, you green eyed monster!

I took the advice to use an icelandic bank. I took the large amount of interest as well.

Then when it went bust i got all my money back, just like Martin said i would. ;)

martln lewls has saved me money, the banks cost me, l1stened to ML for about 7-10 yrs, wlLL contlnue, he's worth every penny lt costs me.

Having worked for him, he's a top guy. Genuine but very bossy and demanding :p

Yes he does make a fair whack from the work he does, but he puts a lot of it into his charity which helps people who have hit financial difficulties (£100,000/yr, all money from his book sales and he pays all the administration/running costs out of his own pocket).

Sponsored Links
Back