Masking Tape peeling off older paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just started to prepare to paint a bedroom.
Walls are plasterboard with emulsion. We've been in this 16 year old house around 4 years so guessing the paint has been up for around 5-6 years
2 of the 4 walls are going to be a different colour.
So instead of cutting in as I usually do, I thought I'd try the masking tape process so see how straight the vertical lines could be.
So started to mask off and realized the tape was not on straight. So peeled back some of the the masking tape and and in doing so it took off around 30 cms x 2 cms wide strip of paint back to the original colour.
I couldn't believe the masking tape could do this before I've started to paint. The tape was on for no more than 2 minutes. The masking tape is the cream coloured version.
So not sure if this is a sign that the previous paint job had a problem or not.
There is no damp in the house.
So this has put been right off masking tape.
Not sure how the best way of covering up this missing patch of paint. I tried touching the edges of the peeled paint with a scraper and it looks as if the original paint hasn't bonded with the older paint.
Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I am only an amateur but last year switched to Frog Tape.

More expensive and green. Far better although if your paint is going to come off anyway, hard to say if it is the answer. The cheap cream stuff is so variable and tends to alternate between not at all sticky or sh1T to a blanket

You're right that the last coat of paint probably didn't bond properly, and this is why I will generally give any wall a light sanding before fresh paint. Low-tack masking tape may well stop this happening, but you're best off avoiding the stuff if possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back