Masking Tape Peels Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The last couple of times I've masked up the walls, I do my painting and peel the masking tape away the next day (generally 24 hours later)

The problem I had was as I peeled the masking tape away the freshly painted part started to peel as well - not everywhere but enough to annoy me!

Just trying to work out where I went wrong:

Didn't leave paint long enough to dry in between coats?
Cheap paint?
cheap masking tape?

I ended up having to run a knife along the tape before peeling it away

Sponsored Links
You are better off using a good brush and a steady hand. I don't know any pros that use masking tape.

i know of 1,but wether he is an actual pro is a matter of opinion,are you using a lo tack tape,if not this could be the reason the paint is lifting?

Thanks, I just did some tonight with masking tape and pulled it off whilst wet so it had no chance to peel the paint. I do sometimes do the steady hand etc but this takes me longer

Sponsored Links
Good tape is blue masking tape is weeker than the others but good for that what you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back