Masonary Paint - Sandtex, etc. V. Toolstation Trade paints.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are Toolstation trade paints as good as the better known paint names ?

I have done a brief search in DIYnot, and gather that Sandtex, Dulux Weathershield, and Leyland Truguard, are some of the better masonary paints. But are other masonary paints supplied by Toolstation (& Screwfix) just as good ?

I will be painting the whole outside of the house, including windows, etc. so along the same vein, are the Trade gloss paints and undercoats, just as good as paints supplied by the likes of B&Q ?

Hoping for some guidance re this. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The 'shed' paints are made by the larger paint manufacturers, e.g homebase is made by crown but its utter crap, not because crown is bad but due to the fact that they have to make a paint at a certain (low) price point. This can't be done without using lesser quality materials or less of the quality materials e.g pigment. Crown also make Albany which isn't bad at all.

Paint is like anything else, you get what you pay for. My goto masonary paint is bedec, its a good price, covers and seems to last ok.

The best exterior gloss is sikkens XD, dulux is a bit hit and miss at the moment and i wouldn't use anything budget or 'shed' branded on an exterior.

Good prep is essential otherwise the paint system will fail anyway no matter how good the gear.

Oil based paints are taking longer to dry since the voc changes, so its important to make sure your paint is dry before any moisture is likely to settle on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back