masonary paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

About to repaint the outside of my house which hasn't been done for about twenty five years. This resulted in me having to strip the entire top layer off except for a few stubborn patches here and there. I tried some Dulux Weathershield (waterbased) bought from B&Q on a sample area and found that it went on too thin (would require at least 3 coats on top of a white background!), and didn't hide any of the edges around the patchy areas. The exterior walls do have some chalky areas which is why Leyland pliolite was suggested to me but I'm wondering how good this paint will be at covering those usightly edges. Is there a better alternative out there or is it a question of sanding and feathering? Also would you recommend solvent or waterbased paint?

Thanks for the help,

Tony

Sponsored Links
Puzzled to hear it went on too thin. I used some recently (though mine was the Trade deep colour mixed to order) and found it very thick, I thinned the first 2 coats with water per instructions (on bare new concrete). Unthinned it was like custard and the top coat was very full.

Is there any chance yours had settled to the bottom of the tin?

Hi John,

That sounds promising. Maybe the waterbased Dulux Weathershield sold in B&Q is not up to much. It was a little sampler pot I used and the whole lot went on very thinly. I think I'll nip over to the Dulux trade place. There seem to be many varieties of Weathershield on the market. My neighbour used a white Weathershield that had a fine grit in it, it went on really well and looks good - and he diodn't even do any prep work to the walls!!! Forgot to ask him where he bought it though.

Did you use the waterbased or solvent based Weathershield?

Cheers

Tony

Sponsored Links
Personally I think weathershield is one of Dulux weakest products..i find it thinest of all the masonry paints...even Leyland!

Any pliolite based will do you, its self sealing and you can thin the first coat out a little to bind down absorbant surfaces...or maybe stabilising solution might be better.

One thing though...make sure you cover up well when using it...its murder to get off your skin and hair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back