Masonry paint on radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone any experience in using smooth masonry paint on radiators.
We have a large amount of masonry paint left over and the colour would be ideal for freshening up our radiators - but not sure if it is likely to be any worse than using an interior matt or silk interior paint rather than radiator paint.

Sponsored Links
If you read the Masonry paint pot, usually it says not for internal use... so no drinking it either o_O

It simply says it is suitable for exterior use but says nothing about excluding internal use.
Why would it not be suitable for interior use - if they use chemicals that could emit noxious fume that would have to be clearly marked on the tub.
Perhaps I'll call the manufacturer tomorrow.

Can't be sure... but think it was something to do with mould inhibitors.
If you find out for sure, please let us all know.(y)

Sponsored Links
The radiators heat tends to discolour most paints better to spray with proper radiator enamel

Masonry paints have fungicides. I don't think that they are sufficiently high enough to cause harm but if you ever put wet clothes on the rad, the paint will start to crack and blister.

I painted the copper pipes coming in and out of the boiler using water based primer and screwfix water based gloss white. No yellowing and no failure. I am pretty sure this will work on the radiators as well. So, you don't actually need special radiator paint if you don't mind the rougher finish of non-sprayed paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back