Masonry Window Sill Repainting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, newbie to posting on the forum but been reading posts here for a while!

I'm planning on painting my rather weathered masonry window sills at the weekend.

Does the below workflow seem okay or overkill? Also wondering if anyone was aware of any issues that may arise in using these products in combination with one another.

- Scrape and brush old paint away
- Clean with Fungicidal wash
- Brush on Masonry Stabilising Solution
- Prime coat with Zinsser 3-2-1
- Top coat of Dulux Trade Weathershield Textured Masonry Paint

The sills are in varying condition but nothing terrible, most of the previous paint had flaked off so hoping stripping the remaining stuff wont be hard. Wasn't planning on any filling as it doesn't look like it needs it. If anyone can offer any advice on if this mix of products would get a good finish it would be massively appreciated. Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
That’s about right Liam, if you have access to a wire brush will make it slightly quicker and easier but yep go for it. Hope this helps.

That's right, have one of those brushes at the ready.

Someone suggested won't need both the stabilising solution and the Zinsser as they both stabilise. Planning on skipping the Zinsser as I already have the other product. Will report back on how it goes. Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back