Repainting window masonry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I'm thinking of repainting all the vertical stone frame and the sills. It was last painted by professionals in 2016 I think. Can I get away with sanding over the paint just to key it and then repainting with the ultra smooth Sandtex masonry paint I have? Otherwise it's going to take a month of sundays to completely remove the paint. It's mostly all solid, barely any flaking. I also need to fill some cracks along the sills. In my photos, you can see it was repaired on the lower part of the sill as a lot of stone had broken away. That was several years ago and it's held up. But i'd like to fill the visible cracks. Should I buy this?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/toupret-touprelith-f-exterior-masonry-repair-filler-1-5kg/7626h

Windows 1.jpg Windows 2.jpg Windows 3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Everything you propose sounds ok. No point removing sound paint.

Great, thanks. I've only got a roll of Oakey 80 grit, will that be ok and do I have to go nuts with the sanding or will sanding pretty quickly over the surfaces be sufficient to allow new paint to adhere?

Was thinking of buying ready mix filler but I think the powder stuff will store for longer. Any idea if that Toupret filler could last years if kept dry?

Sponsored Links
Well I washed down the masonry and started sanding it today. I've now got a box of Touprelith F to fill cracks. Was wondering if I can use the Touprelith to fill shallow holes in the paint like this?
20200814_192014.jpg

I've sanded away the looser bits of paint from that and what's left seems firm enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back