Mass air flow location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've been having trouble with my 1999 fiesta 1.25 zetec engine running rich. I took the car into the local mechanic for a diagnostic test and it came up with two fault codes. One related to the throttle position sensor (TPS), which I have since changed, this has improved the issue by about 80% the throttle response issue I was experiencing is pretty much sorted and the fuel consumption is a fair bit better.

The second code related to the air mass/ MAF/ Mass Air Flow sensor (I assume there all the same). The car is still not 100% so I would like to change this too but I'm having trouble finding the part. Every where I go, makes a reference to a section of the airduct, directly mounted to the airbox, but I certainly have no sensors there. The only sensor I can find that could be it is integrated within the intake manifold, next in line from the TPS. However this part looks nothing like anything the motor parts shops are trying to sell me when I ask for a air mass sensor, nor does it correspond to anything my trusty Haynes manual refers to in relation to the air mass sensor. Why is my car different???

Please help, im driving to Paris in two weeks and it could be a very expensive trip if the fuel consumption doesnt improve, (not to mention the damage it could do to my cat)

Thanks

The pictures show what I think could be the air mass meter and the link shows what the motorparts shop have (under air mass meter)

http://www.europarts-motorfactors.com/Ford-Fiesta-1.2-1999/Parts.aspx

[/img]

Sponsored Links
isnt it located inside the air filter top cover on these?
you should see an electrical connection to the outside

I can't see any sort of electrical connection on that side of the air duct or around the air box :confused: I will double check though, I think I'll go and take some pictures.

Thanks for the response :)

take that sensor out and examine it, you should see a very small section of wire that sits in the air stream. This is the sensor, you should not touch it but if its contaminated a a squirt of carb cleaner may clean it and save you a few quid.
i know on newer cars that to check the maf sensor it can be physically disconnected, if the car runs better its a sure sign its knackered

Sponsored Links
I realised it wasnt the MAF sensor in the end, the car I have doesn't have a MAF sensor but instead a MAP sensor (Manifold absoloute pressure). Ive replaced this and the car is much better... Apart from now, when I depress the clutch after driving or release the drive train from the engine, the revs kick up to 3000 rpm for about 5 seconds and then drop back down to a normal idle (1000 rpm). Bloody Cars!!

Check the air intake manifold for leaks as this can cause the issue you describe.

Hmmm I hope not, really could do without that one!! I disconnected the battery last night and im letting it sit at idle for 15 minutes, to see if the ecu just needs to reset itself, not sure if thats a common approach but im a desperate man.

I can hear some hissing though, so i fear the worst :( how do i locate and repair the leak? and also why would this only just start after if changed the two sensors?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it :)

Back