Mass of brambles and bindweed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My front and back only needs a couple of weeks and I have non stop brambles and bineweed. I’ve tried spraying it all with weedkiller after cutting but it does absolutely nothing.

Thinking of putting black plastic down round the borders. Even the grassed bits have brambles in there which leap out.

What’s the best thing to use on borders? I saw weed control fabric but think I need thick plastic.

What can be done? I feel like even if I returfed it all it would still come back.

I’ve never known soil like it. How do I start again? Or is maintaining grass a part time job and constant battle

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Glyphosphate too! I am have lots of bramble just the other side of, along two very long sides of my garden. Garden was inundated with bramble when I moved here, lots of cutting and mowing, plus glyphosphate over the fences, beat it back. It spreads in leaps- goes up, over, then forms a new root.

As said above, there is no point in spraying after cutting - it needs to go on the leaves, in dry weather. It then gets taken down to the roots, kills the plant, then 7 to 14 days later it will be wilted and dead.

Last edited:
What is it that you want to be growing in these areas?

I keep bindweed under control by pulling up the roots, and leaving the stem and leaves to dry and die. It has been particularly rampant in the last few weeks.

A thick layer of mulch would help slow down brambles and bindweed, and also makes them easier to pull.

Don't put down plastic, it'll UV degrade, fall apart, blow about, cause drainage problems, and won't solve the problem.

Little and often is generally a good approach to weeding...

The only answer for mine was to dig out the roots, not to fanny around dig deep get rid of all roots even little bits.

The only answer for mine was to dig out the roots, not to fanny around dig deep get rid of all roots even little bits.
That'll work for a few plants in a small area otherwise it'll become a loathsome labour full of backache and woe.
Glyphosphate in dry weather is the way to go. Spray twice to make sure.

If you don't fancy using glyphosate, then digging up the roots really is the way forward.

When I re-did all my borders, the bindweed roots I found went absolutely everywhere -- long white roots that had laid a network fairly shallow under the soil surface. Ripped them all out and have had none since, and that was five years ago now. Formerly my garden had been rampant with it before I moved in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back